1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Wire Comparison

1. Sep 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The diagram shows two wires; wire 1 and wire 2. The charge carriers in wire 1 (of circular cross section and radius R) have a drift speed down the wire that is not constant across the wire. Instead, the drift speed rises linearly from zero at the circumference (r=R) to at the center (r = 0), according to vd1(r)=Vo(1-(r/R)).The second wire (wire 2) has the same radius, the same density of charge carriers and a constant drift speed given by vd1(r)= fVo. Evaluate the ratio of the current carried by wire 2 to the current carried by wire 1, when f = 0.490.
    2. Relevant equations
    [tex] I=nqAV_{d}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{qnAV_{d2}}{qnAV_{d1}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So since q,n,A are the same they cancel leaving:
    [tex]\frac{I_{2}}{I_{1}}= \frac{V_{d2}}{V_{d1}}[/tex]
    I need to find vd now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2007 #2
    To find current in first wire you need to integrate. Sice speed is constant at fixed r you should write: [tex] dI=nqv(r)2\pi rdr [/tex] and then integrate.

Hope you understand why, else ask.

4. Sep 29, 2007 #3
    got it thanks. Yes I know why

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?