Can TeX be directly typed into Word using MathType 6.5 for Windows?

In summary, MathType 6.5 for Windows now allows users to type TeX directly into Word and convert it into a MathType equation. The equation can be edited by toggling it back to TeX. This feature requires MathType to be installed. Incorporating [Handwritten] Ink from a TabletPC would be even cooler, but the Microsoft Equation Writer only generates an image of the equation, unlike the editable result from the Equation Editor or MathType.
bobm
Many of you have gotten comfortable with TeX/LaTeX as a result of this forum, so I wanted to let you know that with MathType 6.5 for Windows (released yesterday), you can now type TeX directly into Word and change the code into a MathType equation either by clicking a toolbar icon, or with the shortcut Alt+\. If you want to edit the equation, you can toggle it back to TeX the same way. You need MathType in order to do this, but you never have to open it if you don't want -- you just have to have it installed.

http://www.dessci.com/mathtype"

Cheers,
Bob Mathews

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Now, what would even be cooler is incorporating [Handwritten] Ink (from a TabletPC)...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tabletpc/educationpack/overview4.mspx
60681_375x500_EquationWrite.gif

The Microsoft Equation Writer, however, only generates an image of the rendered equation, which can't be edited...
unlike the editable result from the Equation Editor or from MathType. (It seems to me that Microsoft stopped short of making the connection to the Equation Editor.)

Last edited by a moderator:

What is "Type TeX directly into Word"?

"Type TeX directly into Word" is a feature that allows users to enter TeX commands and equations directly into Microsoft Word rather than using a separate TeX editor.

Do I need any additional software to use "Type TeX directly into Word"?

Yes, in order to use this feature, you will need to have both Microsoft Word and a TeX distribution installed on your computer. Examples of TeX distributions include MiKTeX and TeX Live.

How do I activate "Type TeX directly into Word"?

To activate this feature, go to the "Insert" tab in Microsoft Word and click on the "Equation" button. Then, select "Insert New Equation" and click on the "TeX" button in the top right corner of the equation editor.

Can I use all TeX commands and packages in "Type TeX directly into Word"?

No, not all TeX commands and packages are supported in this feature. However, the majority of basic commands and commonly used packages are supported.

What are the advantages of using "Type TeX directly into Word"?

One of the main advantages is the convenience of having both TeX and Word in one program. This allows for easier editing and formatting of documents containing both text and equations. It also eliminates the need to switch between different programs while working on a document.