Types of experiments conducted to detect the speed of light After M&M

In summary, there have been no experiments conducted to detect the speed of light using interference pattern. However, if there haven't been any attempt, then why? There is a need for an experiment to determine whether or not there is an asymmetry between moving source and stationary detector.
Trojan666ru
I have red only about a few experiments conducted to detect the speed of light using interference pattern.
but i need to know whether there have been any experiment conducted by MOVING LIGHT SPEED DETECTOR (INTERFERENCE DEVICE) & keeping the source of light and mirrors in rest?
If there haven't been any attempt, then why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Trojan666ru said:
I have red only about a few experiments conducted to detect the speed of light using interference pattern.
but i need to know whether there have been any experiment conducted by MOVING LIGHT SPEED DETECTOR (INTERFERENCE DEVICE) & keeping the source of light and mirrors in rest?
If there haven't been any attempt, then why?
I'm not sure what you have in mind. Can you be more precise? Are you wanting a moving detector to be colocated with the source of light at the moment of emission and then to be located somewhere else when the reflection was detected? If so, what distances would you use for the two paths of the light? The rest frame of the source and the mirror or the rest frame of the detector? Or do you have something else in mind? And why do you think an experiment like this would be important? What are you concerned about?

Trojan666ru said:
keeping the source of light and mirrors in rest?

At rest with respect to what?

keeping the source of light and mirrior (if needed) in rest with respect to the lab/scientists
I want the detector to move and check the speed of light

Trojan666ru said:
keeping the source of light and mirrior (if needed) in rest with respect to the lab/scientists

Is there a reason why this would make a difference? Is there an impetus for you think there is a possibility of such an asymmetry i.e. why are you expecting this will not be the same as moving source with stationary detector?

Zz.

Trojan666ru said:
What do you mean, "if needed"? You're the one who is asking the questions. We can't answer unless you tell us what you mean. Please answer all of my questions or at least narrow down what you have in mind.

Trojan666ru said:

You already said you want the detector to move but you haven't described how in relation to the source of light and the mirror you want it to be moving and now you're not sure about the mirror. If you were a lab professor and you gave this requirement to your students, how many different experiments with different results do you think they would come up with? Do you think any of them would come up with the one you have in mind? Please provide all the details so that you could grade the students on how well they followed your instructions and then maybe we can address your concern. Or you could just tell us what your concern is like I already asked you.

First, could we establish is you are interested in measuring the one way speed of light or the the two way speed? This might determine if the mirror is required or not.

Well yesterday i didn't have enough internet connection, I'm sorry
What i asked was that
Consider an experiment which consists a source of light (laser) and a Light speed detector. Both are kept in a straight line.
The experiment follows like, i move the detector with a velocity of 100m/s from the source. Then i fire a laser to the detector, so will there be any change (decrease) in the velocity of speed of light?
I know there won't be, but WHAT I NEED TO KNOW IS, have there been any similar experiments?

Trojan666ru said:
What i asked was that
Consider an experiment which consists a source of light (laser) and a Light speed detector. Both are kept in a straight line.
The experiment follows like, i move the detector with a velocity of 100m/s from the source. Then i fire a laser to the detector, so will there be any change (decrease) in the velocity of speed of light?
I know there won't be, but WHAT I NEED TO KNOW IS, have there been any similar experiments?
What do consider to be a light speed detector? Does it have to involve interferometry like you twice stated in your first post?

Trojan666ru said:
What i asked was that

You didn't answer my question. Why do you need this?

There has to be some theoretical impetus to test something. One can't just say "Oh, let's do this. I have no good reason why. It's just for the heck of it." That is why I asked why you'd expect there is an asymmetry between "source moving, detector stationary" versus "source stationary, detector moving".

No one is going to test something for no rational reason. We continue to test on any possible mass of photons not because we don't accept that photons have no mass, but because there are new theories that haven't been verified yet, and they include possibilities of such a thing. So there is a theoretical impetus to want to make such a measurement. I don't see one for the type of experiment you're asking for. So is there a rational reason for you wanting to know if such experiments have been done?

Zz.

Trojan666ru said:
Please read through the list of experiments I posted to see if there are any you consider similar enough. Please keep in mind that there is no difference between a moving detector and a moving source.

ghwellsjr said:
Did any of those experiments use interferometry like M&M did? That is specifically what the OP is asking about.
The problem is that the M&M experiment didn't measure the speed of light. In that sense, the OP is self contradictory.

DaleSpam said:
The problem is that the M&M experiment didn't measure the speed of light. In that sense, the OP is self contradictory.
I think the problem is that the OP won't tell us what he means by a "light speed detector" that has no mirrors, yet is an "interference device", nor will he answer any of the other numerous questions that at least four different people have asked him.

1. How is the speed of light measured in experiments with M&M?

In experiments with M&M, the speed of light is usually measured using the method of timing the speed of light in a vacuum. This involves setting up a light source and a detector at a certain distance apart, and then measuring the time it takes for the light to travel from the source to the detector.

2. What is the principle behind the M&M experiment for measuring the speed of light?

The M&M experiment measures the speed of light by analyzing the interference patterns created by light passing through a thin film of M&Ms. This is based on the principle of interference, where light waves interact with each other and produce a pattern of bright and dark spots.

3. What are the limitations of using M&M experiments to detect the speed of light?

One limitation of using M&M experiments is that they only measure the speed of light in a specific medium (such as air or a vacuum). This means that the results may not be accurate for other mediums. Additionally, the thickness of the M&M film and the temperature can also affect the results.

4. Are there any alternative experiments to detect the speed of light besides using M&M?

Yes, there are several alternative experiments that can be used to detect the speed of light. These include the Fizeau experiment, the Michelson-Morley experiment, and the Sagnac experiment. Each of these experiments uses different methods and equipment to measure the speed of light.

5. How accurate are the results from M&M experiments in measuring the speed of light?

The accuracy of the results from M&M experiments can vary depending on various factors, such as the setup of the experiment and the precision of the equipment used. Generally, these experiments can provide reasonably accurate results, with a margin of error of around 1-2%.