U substitution and integration by parts

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of integration by parts and its usefulness in solving integrals. It is mentioned that integration by parts can be used whenever the integrand is a product of two functions, but it may not always be the easiest method. It is also suggested that using u substitution may be a better approach. The legality of taking the product of two functions in an integrand is also questioned.
robertjford80
I would think because of this

Screenshot2012-05-23at73955PM.png

The following problem:

Screenshot2012-05-23at72700PM.png

At this stage they should use integration by parts:

Screenshot2012-05-23at74154PM.png

However, maybe integration by parts is only useful when one of the parts is e^x ln or a trigonometric formula.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Integration by parts can be useful whenever the integrand is a product of two functions. But it is not always the easiest method to use. For instance, the integral [itex]\int(u-1)\sqrt{u}du=\int(u^{3/2}-u^{1/2})du[/itex] can easily be solved using the power rule in reverse. Of course, you could solve it using integration by parts as well, but it's just more work than is necessary.

good, thanks.

What would be your u and what would be your dv?

Using integration by parts might work, but I feel that even if it does work it will be much more work than using u substitution.Is the problem here that you don't find the u substitution they used to be 'legal'?

Yea, it doesn't seem legal, because I thought you couldn't take the product of two functions in an integrand.

robertjford80 said:
Yea, it doesn't seem legal, because I thought you couldn't take the product of two functions in an integrand.

You need to work on being more precise. The integrand of [itex]\int_0^1 x^2 \mathrm{d}x[/itex] is the product of two functions but is clearly integrable.

1. What is U substitution and integration by parts?

U substitution and integration by parts are two commonly used integration techniques in calculus. U substitution involves replacing a variable in an integral with a new variable to simplify the integral. Integration by parts is used to integrate the product of two functions by using the product rule from differentiation.

2. When should I use U substitution?

U substitution is typically used when the integrand (the expression inside the integral) contains a function and its derivative, or when it contains a polynomial function and a trigonometric function. It can also be used when the integrand contains a complicated expression that can be simplified by substituting a new variable.

3. How do I know which function to choose as U in U substitution?

The key to choosing the correct function for U substitution is to look for a function and its derivative in the integrand. The function that is being multiplied by its derivative is usually a good choice for U. If the integrand contains a polynomial and a trigonometric function, the polynomial is typically chosen as U.

4. How do I use integration by parts?

To use integration by parts, you must first identify which function will be u (the one that you will differentiate) and which function will be dv (the one that you will integrate). Then, use the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du to solve the integral. You may need to use integration by parts multiple times or combine it with other integration techniques to fully solve the integral.

5. When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is typically used when the integrand is a product of two functions, or when it contains a function that cannot be easily integrated. It is also useful when the integrand contains a polynomial function and a trigonometric function, as this can often be simplified using integration by parts.