Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ultrasonic Transducer interfacing help.

1. Sep 15, 2012 #1
    Yesterday I bought an Ultrasonic Transducer pair. i am trying to work with it. i am giving a 40khz square wave 14Vpp(peak to peak) to the transmitter and trying to receive it through the receiving transducer. but cannot get any voltage at the receiver. please help me out...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2012 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

without seeing your circuits I cant tell you where you may have made an error

but here is a ultrasonic transmitter and receiver circuit.....

attachment.php?attachmentid=50867&stc=1&d=1347773619.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=50868&stc=1&d=1347773609.jpg

cheers
    Dave

Attached Files:

4. Sep 16, 2012 #3

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Why have you driven your transmitting transducer with a square wave? I have, after more than 25 years in specialized sonar, never heard of using a square wave drive signal! Where did you get that plan? Why not use a sine wave? Piezeoelectric materials react well to sine waves. Think about it: a square wave is really an infinite number of odd harmonics superimposed. Sound in air does not propagate by changing pressure levels from zero to maximum instantaneously.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook