What is the Angle of Swing for a Block in a Van on an Unbanked Curve?

• Thread starter physics_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary: The solution is at the bottom of the post.In summary, a block is hung by a string from the inside roof of a van. When the van goes straight ahead at a speed of 28m/s, the block hands vertically down. But when the van maintains this same speed around an unbanked curve (radius=150m), the block swings toward the outside of the curve. Then the stringmakes an angle A with the vertical. Find angle A.
physics_

Homework Statement

A block is hung by a string from the inside roof of a van. When the van goes straight ahead at a speed of 28m/s, the block hands vertically down. But when the van maintains this same speed around an unbanked curve (radius=150m), the block swings toward the outside of the curve. Then the stringmakes an angle A with the vertical. Find angle A.

Homework Equations

F=mv^2/r?
FsMax = (mew)s Fn ?

Mew = coefficient of static friction.

The Attempt at a Solution

Managed to find coefficient of static friction by equating the two equations above and substituting w=mg=Fn. Coefficient based on my calculatinos was 0.53. Didn't help me answer the question.
Then I reasoned that based on a drawing, which may be flawed, that tanA = Fn/r. Fn= normal force which would lead to equating FsMax = Mv^2/r. Couldn't find the mass though. If I had found the mass, I could find one of sides of hte triangle the angle is in and since radius is given, it would be easy to determine angle A.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When the block is stationary with respect to the van it moves around the same circle and with the same speed as the van. Where does the centripetal force come from?

ehild

And what does "static friction" have to do with this? I see no mention of friction in the problem. The block is not sitting on anything to have friction with.

Anyone have a solution? The answer in the book is 28 degrees. I was merely guessing with teh work I posted above.

Last edited:
Make a drawing like the one attached, and find out what forces act on the hanging box. The resultant has to be the centripetal force.

ehild

Attachments

• vanbox.JPG
    vanbox.JPG
    4.7 KB · Views: 592
I seem to have made the drawing fairly accurately already. The problem is the reasoning to solving the problem.

You see the right triangle with sides mg and Fcp? What is tan(theta)?ehild

What is the Unbanked Curve Problem?

The Unbanked Curve Problem refers to the difficulty in safely navigating a curved road or track without proper banking, or sloping, of the surface. This can result in vehicles losing control and potentially causing accidents.

What causes the Unbanked Curve Problem?

The main cause of the Unbanked Curve Problem is the centripetal force that acts on a vehicle as it travels around a curve. This force pushes the vehicle outwards, away from the center of the curve, making it difficult to maintain control.

How does banking of a curve help solve the Unbanked Curve Problem?

Banking of a curve involves tilting the surface of the road or track inwards towards the center of the curve. This helps to counteract the centripetal force and allows vehicles to safely navigate the curve at higher speeds without losing control.

What are the benefits of banking curves?

The benefits of banking curves include improved safety for drivers and passengers, as well as increased efficiency in terms of speed and fuel consumption. Banking also helps to reduce wear and tear on vehicles and the road surface itself.

What are some solutions to the Unbanked Curve Problem?

There are several solutions to the Unbanked Curve Problem, including adding banking to existing curves, designing new roads and tracks with proper banking, and implementing warning signs and speed limits for unbanked curves. Computer simulations and testing can also help to identify and improve curves that may be prone to the Unbanked Curve Problem.