How to Calculate the Absolute Uncertainty in Distance Measurement?

• Thread starter anwarjackson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uncertainty
In summary: So, using the formula, we get for the uncertainty in R^-2, 0.006/4^3=0.006/64=0.00009375, or about 0.0001.In summary, the absolute uncertainty in R^-2 is 0.0001 m.
anwarjackson
A distance R is measured to be 4.000±0.006 m. What is the absolute uncertainty in R to the power of negative two?

Here is what i tried, apparently my units are not correct, if anyone can suggest the porper units that would be much appreciated.

let x be uncertainty of R^-2,
let y be uncertainty of R
let n be raised power (in this case -2)x = n(R^n-1)y
= 2 (1/4)0.006
= 0.003

What am I doing wrong? Question was posted on the CAPA problem sets for my physics class, CAPA keeps saying improper units however I've attempted to use millimeters, centimeters, meters and even kilometers.

Therefore, uncertainty of R^-2 is 0.0625 ± 0.003 m

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If R has units of m, then:

R^2 has units of ___?
1/R^2 has units of ___?

p.s. 0.003 would be the relative uncertainty, not the absolute uncertainty.

WOW, thanks I wasn't thinking of that, I've been awake for too long apparently.

hey how did u get (1/4)

help me

my values are (3.000+- 0.002) samw ques capa

Welcome to Physics Forums. What do you know about calculating uncertainties?

its cool man i got the ans after like 2mint i posted the thing...i did it in my own method..same result thanks anyways

You had the formula right, and the units don't quite matter, as long as you're using the same units for [tex]R[/tex] and [tex]\Delta R[/tex] when you plug them into your formula.

Your formula is correct too, only you plugged in n=-2 in one place, and n=0 in the other!

x=nR^(n-1) y
Plugging in n=-2, and ignoring the negative sign we get for x, since it is an uncertainty:
x=2R^(-3) y
4^-3 is not 1/4.

1. What is the Uncertainty Problem?

The Uncertainty Problem refers to the challenge of making decisions or drawing conclusions in the face of incomplete or uncertain information. It is a common issue in scientific research and decision-making processes.

2. How does the Uncertainty Problem affect scientific research?

The Uncertainty Problem can have a significant impact on scientific research, as it can lead to limitations in data collection and analysis, as well as challenges in interpreting results and drawing conclusions. It can also make it difficult to replicate or generalize findings.

3. What are some strategies for dealing with the Uncertainty Problem?

There are several strategies that scientists use to address the Uncertainty Problem, such as conducting additional research to gather more data, using statistical methods to account for uncertainty, and acknowledging and discussing potential limitations in their findings.

4. How can the Uncertainty Problem be applied in real-world situations?

The Uncertainty Problem is applicable in various real-world situations, such as in risk assessment and decision-making processes, where there is limited information available or a high degree of uncertainty. It is also relevant in fields like economics, climate science, and medicine.

5. Is it possible to eliminate the Uncertainty Problem completely?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate the Uncertainty Problem. However, scientists can mitigate its effects by using rigorous research methods, acknowledging and discussing uncertainties, and continuously seeking new evidence and information.