1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncertainty Problem

1. Sep 19, 2009 #1
    A distance R is measured to be 4.000±0.006 m. What is the absolute uncertainty in R to the power of negative two?

Here is what i tried, apparently my units are not correct, if anyone can suggest the porper units that would be much appreciated.

let x be uncertainty of R^-2,
    let y be uncertainty of R
    let n be raised power (in this case -2)

x = n(R^n-1)y
    = 2 (1/4)0.006
    = 0.003

What am I doing wrong? Question was posted on the CAPA problem sets for my physics class, CAPA keeps saying improper units however ive attempted to use millimeters, centimeters, meters and even kilometers.

Therefore, uncertainty of R^-2 is 0.0625 ± 0.003 m

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If R has units of m, then:

R^2 has units of ___?
    1/R^2 has units of ___?

p.s. 0.003 would be the relative uncertainty, not the absolute uncertainty.

4. Sep 19, 2009 #3
    WOW, thanks I wasn't thinking of that, I've been awake for too long apparently.

5. Sep 19, 2010 #4
    hey how did u get (1/4)

help me

my values are (3.000+- 0.002) samw ques capa

6. Sep 19, 2010 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to Physics Forums. What do you know about calculating uncertainties?

7. Sep 19, 2010 #6
    its cool man i got the ans after like 2mint i posted the thing...i did it in my own method..same result thanks anyways

8. Sep 20, 2010 #7
    You had the formula right, and the units don't quite matter, as long as you're using the same units for [tex]R[/tex] and [tex]\Delta R[/tex] when you plug them into your formula.

Your formula is correct too, only you plugged in n=-2 in one place, and n=0 in the other!

x=nR^(n-1) y
    Plugging in n=-2, and ignoring the negative sign we get for x, since it is an uncertainty:
    x=2R^(-3) y
    4^-3 is not 1/4.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook