1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Undefined Integral

1. Nov 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve the following integral:

∫arctg(1/√x)dx

2. Relevant equations

∫u'/1+u^2 = arctg(u)+c
    ∫u.v' = u.v - ∫ u'.v

3. The attempt at a solution

So , I tried to define u as arctg(1/√x) but I'm having trouble finding the du. The derivate of arctg(1/√x) is -1/2*x^(3/2), so it stays -1/2*x^(3/2)/1-(1/√x)^2 (converting to the derivate u'/1+u^2) ? I was thinking about getting the derivate of arctg(1/√x) and doing this by parts. dv = dx , u = arctg(1/√x)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The derivative of ##\arctan(x^{-\frac 1 2})## is$$
    \frac 1 {1+\frac 1 x}\left(-\frac 1 2 x^{-\frac 3 2}\right )=
    -\frac 1 2 \frac{x^{-\frac 1 2}}{x+1}$$That might help your integration by parts.

4. Nov 24, 2012 #3
    Thank you, now I got arctg(1/√x)*x - ∫((√x)/2x+2)*x . Do I need to make the integral by parts again?

5. Nov 24, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should not get u'/1+u^2, which reads as
    [tex] \frac{u'}{1} + u^2.[/tex] You should have gotten u'/(1+u^2), which reads as
    [tex] \frac{u'}{1+u^2}.[/tex] Parentheses are important!

RGV

6. Nov 24, 2012 #5
    yes, I got this x.arctg(1/√x)+∫x/sqrt(x)*(2x+2) but now I'm having trouble on solving the integral :p any help?

7. Nov 24, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Substitute for √x and use partial fractions.

8. Nov 25, 2012 #7
    I don't remeber how to use the partial fractions , it's that thing with A/(x-1) * B/(x+1) and A*(x+1)*B(x-1) thing? Can't remember quite well

9. Nov 25, 2012 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's that thing where you have one polynomial divided by another, P(x)/Q(x). You rewrite it as a sum of simpler fractions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_fractions_in_integration

10. Nov 25, 2012 #9
    I transformed x/sqrt(x)*(2x+2) into sqrt(x)/2x+2 . Then I passed 2x+2 up and got Int (sqrt(x)*(2x+2)^-1) and multiplied and got Int (1/2sqrt(x)) + Int (sqrt(x)/2) but the second one is incorrect I think... Can't figure out why, tho.

Thanks in advance

11. Nov 25, 2012 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

As I indicated, you first need to get rid of the surd by substituting a different variable for √x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook