Solving Undefined Integrals with the Help of Arctan and Integration by Parts"

• Thread starter ruiwp13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: In this case, you can use the square root of -1, which is √(−1). Next, you need to take the derivative of √(−1) with respect to x. Doing this, you get \frac{d}{dx}(-1/√(−1))=1Therefore, the equation for √(−1) in terms of x isx=1/√(−1)
ruiwp13

Homework Statement

Solve the following integral:

∫arctg(1/√x)dx

Homework Equations

∫u'/1+u^2 = arctg(u)+c
∫u.v' = u.v - ∫ u'.v

The Attempt at a Solution

So , I tried to define u as arctg(1/√x) but I'm having trouble finding the du. The derivate of arctg(1/√x) is -1/2*x^(3/2), so it stays -1/2*x^(3/2)/1-(1/√x)^2 (converting to the derivate u'/1+u^2) ? I was thinking about getting the derivate of arctg(1/√x) and doing this by parts. dv = dx , u = arctg(1/√x)

Physics news on Phys.org
The derivative of ##\arctan(x^{-\frac 1 2})## is$$
\frac 1 {1+\frac 1 x}\left(-\frac 1 2 x^{-\frac 3 2}\right )=
-\frac 1 2 \frac{x^{-\frac 1 2}}{x+1}$$That might help your integration by parts.

LCKurtz said:
The derivative of ##\arctan(x^{-\frac 1 2})## is$$
\frac 1 {1+\frac 1 x}\left(-\frac 1 2 x^{-\frac 3 2}\right )=
-\frac 1 2 \frac{x^{-\frac 1 2}}{x+1}$$That might help your integration by parts.

Thank you, now I got arctg(1/√x)*x - ∫((√x)/2x+2)*x . Do I need to make the integral by parts again?

ruiwp13 said:

Homework Statement

Solve the following integral:

∫arctg(1/√x)dx

Homework Equations

∫u'/1+u^2 = arctg(u)+c
∫u.v' = u.v - ∫ u'.v

The Attempt at a Solution

So , I tried to define u as arctg(1/√x) but I'm having trouble finding the du. The derivate of arctg(1/√x) is -1/2*x^(3/2), so it stays -1/2*x^(3/2)/1-(1/√x)^2 (converting to the derivate u'/1+u^2) ? I was thinking about getting the derivate of arctg(1/√x) and doing this by parts. dv = dx , u = arctg(1/√x)

You should not get u'/1+u^2, which reads as
[tex] \frac{u'}{1} + u^2.[/tex] You should have gotten u'/(1+u^2), which reads as
[tex] \frac{u'}{1+u^2}.[/tex] Parentheses are important!

RGV

yes, I got this x.arctg(1/√x)+∫x/sqrt(x)*(2x+2) but now I'm having trouble on solving the integral :p any help?

ruiwp13 said:
yes, I got this x.arctg(1/√x)+∫x/sqrt(x)*(2x+2) but now I'm having trouble on solving the integral :p any help?
Substitute for √x and use partial fractions.

I don't remeber how to use the partial fractions , it's that thing with A/(x-1) * B/(x+1) and A*(x+1)*B(x-1) thing? Can't remember quite well

I transformed x/sqrt(x)*(2x+2) into sqrt(x)/2x+2 . Then I passed 2x+2 up and got Int (sqrt(x)*(2x+2)^-1) and multiplied and got Int (1/2sqrt(x)) + Int (sqrt(x)/2) but the second one is incorrect I think... Can't figure out why, tho.

Thanks in advance

ruiwp13 said:
I transformed x/sqrt(x)*(2x+2) into sqrt(x)/2x+2 .
As I indicated, you first need to get rid of the surd by substituting a different variable for √x.

What is an undefined integral?

An undefined integral is an integral that does not have a specific value. This can occur when the function being integrated is undefined at certain points, or when the limits of integration are not well-defined.

Why is arctan used to solve undefined integrals?

Arctan, or inverse tangent, is used to solve undefined integrals because it allows us to convert a complex integral into a simpler one. By using the trigonometric identity arctan(x) = arccos(1/x), we can rewrite integrals involving square roots or inverse trigonometric functions as integrals involving arctan.

What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used to evaluate integrals by breaking them down into simpler integrals. It involves using the product rule of differentiation to rewrite the original integral in a different form, which may be easier to solve.

How does integration by parts help solve undefined integrals?

Integration by parts can help solve undefined integrals by breaking them down into simpler integrals that can be evaluated using known techniques. By using integration by parts, we can often transform an undefined integral into one that is well-defined and can be solved using standard integration methods.

Are there any limitations to using arctan and integration by parts to solve undefined integrals?

While arctan and integration by parts can be powerful tools for solving undefined integrals, they may not always be applicable. Some integrals may be too complex to be solved using these methods, or may require alternative techniques such as substitution or partial fractions.