Undergraduate Minors that are helpful for petroleum industry careers

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's current status as a Sophomore studying chemical engineering at Drexel University and their desire to pursue a career in the downstream petroleum industry after graduation. They are seeking advice on what minor would best complement their degree, with options including business, mathematics, and geology. They also mention the possibility of taking petroleum engineering courses and ask about the head of the chemical engineering department. The conversation also briefly touches on the speaker's brother's experience in the petroleum industry and the useful skills for this field.
Nichalas Perrone
I am currently a Sophomore, studying chemical engineering at Drexel University. After college, I want to pursue a career in the downstream petroleum industry. However, I am unsure of what minor would help me get closer to reaching my goal. I have heard business and mathematics minors are great when paired with an engineering degree, but feel like geology relates more to the petroleum industry. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nichalas Perrone said:
I am currently a Sophomore, studying chemical engineering at Drexel University. After college, I want to pursue a career in the downstream petroleum industry. However, I am unsure of what minor would help me get closer to reaching my goal. I have heard business and mathematics minors are great when paired with an engineering degree, but feel like geology relates more to the petroleum industry. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Wouldn't geology be more appropriate for upstream? However, if you want to get an understanding the entire technology (in anticipation of possibly entering management), then geology would be a good choice. Do they have any petroleum engineering courses, involving porous media flow, at Drexel?

Is Chuck Weinberger still the head of the department, or has he retired by now?

Chestermiller said:
Wouldn't geology be more appropriate for upstream? However, if you want to get an understanding the entire technology (in anticipation of possibly entering management), then geology would be a good choice. Do they have any petroleum engineering courses, involving porous media flow, at Drexel?

Is Chuck Weinberger still the head of the department, or has he retired by now?
Yes, I agree it would be more appropriate for upstream. However, besides geoscience classes, the number of courses that correlate with petroleum engineering is next to none. I plan to speak to an advisor later this week to see if I am overlooking certain classes.

As far as Chuck Weinberger, I believe he is indeed retired. Currently, Cameron Abrams is the head of the Chemical Engineering department.

My brother got his degree in mechanical engineering and worked in the petroleum industry. A knowledge of pumps, pipes, valves, control systems, and fluid mechanics is useful whether you're dealing with transport of crude oil, the refining process, or transport of refined product.

1. What is an undergraduate minor in the context of petroleum industry careers?

An undergraduate minor is a set of courses that a student can take in addition to their major area of study. It allows them to gain knowledge and skills in a secondary field that complements their main field of study.

2. Are there specific minors that are helpful for careers in the petroleum industry?

Yes, there are several minors that can be beneficial for those pursuing careers in the petroleum industry. Some examples include geology, environmental science, business, and economics.

3. How can an undergraduate minor in a related field improve job prospects in the petroleum industry?

An undergraduate minor can provide a well-rounded education and demonstrate a diverse skill set to potential employers. It can also show a strong interest in the industry and willingness to go above and beyond the minimum requirements for a degree.

4. Can a minor in a non-STEM field still be helpful for petroleum industry careers?

Yes, while STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) fields are typically more directly related to the petroleum industry, minors in other fields such as communication, policy, or foreign language can also be valuable. These minors can provide transferable skills and knowledge that can be applied in the industry.

5. Is it necessary to have an undergraduate minor for a successful career in the petroleum industry?

No, having a minor is not a requirement for a successful career in the petroleum industry. However, it can provide an advantage and make a candidate stand out in a competitive job market. Ultimately, it depends on the individual's goals and interests.