Undergraduate studying physics of fire

In summary, the conversation discusses the question "What is fire?" and the difference between fire and flame. It is described as an exothermic oxygenation reaction and a plasma of various temperatures. The composition of a flame is a mixture of all possible microscopic objects, with heat being the kinetic energy of the components and visible radiation coming from ionization and recombination.
thomate1
Dear friends,
I am a undergraduate studying physics.Until now I have a doubt which I was not able to tackle. What is fire ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fire is a general term describing combustion with oxygen.

Start with a physical description of what you know about fire and its properties.

More of chemistry problem than a physics problem- fire is an "exothermic oxygenation reaction"- that ought to impress your teacher!

Had you asked about what is flame? ,the answer would have been:a plasma of various temperature...

Daniel.

Can this be clarified further? I've always been told that the exothermic combustion reaction releases energy in the form of light and heat, and that is what we see. But what of the flame itself? Is it physical, i.e. made up of matter, as dexter said? I tend to believe him, just looking at the structure it seems to have and the way it flickers and moves. But what physical matter that constitutes the flame is glowing? Ionised gas eh? From where? Thanks. It is just something I have always wondered about. The smoke is not puzzling...particulates from whatever the fuel source is (wood, etc). The flame, however, is.

Yes,it's a plasma,as i said and as any physics student learns in first lecture on plasma physics.A mixture of all possible microscopical objects.Heat is just KE of the components,while visible (and not) radiation comes from the continuous ionization & recombination of electrons,ions,atoms & molecules.

Daniel.

Thanks for your answers

1. What is the physics of fire?

The physics of fire is the study of the fundamental principles and mechanisms behind the process of combustion. This includes understanding the chemical reactions, heat transfer, and energy transformations involved in the production and propagation of fire.

2. What skills are required for undergraduate studying physics of fire?

Undergraduate students studying physics of fire should have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and chemistry. They should also possess critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to work with complex data and equations.

3. What are some potential career paths for someone with a degree in physics of fire?

Graduates with a degree in physics of fire can pursue careers in fields such as fire safety engineering, fire investigation, or research and development in the fire protection industry. They may also choose to continue their education and pursue a graduate degree in a related field.

4. What research opportunities are available for undergraduate students studying physics of fire?

Many universities offer research opportunities for undergraduate students in the field of physics of fire. This can include working in a lab, conducting experiments, or assisting with data analysis. Some students may also have the opportunity to participate in summer research programs or present their findings at conferences.

5. How does studying physics of fire contribute to our understanding of fire safety?

Studying the physics of fire allows us to better understand the fundamental principles behind fire behavior and its interactions with materials and structures. This knowledge is crucial in developing effective fire safety measures and strategies for preventing and controlling fires.