Understand Michelson-Morley Experiment from Feynman Lectures

• I
  • Thread starter Bishamonten
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, the equation of time(2t3) describing the trip to mirror C(the perpendicular-to-motion mirror) and back involves a square root of the same denominator in the equation of time(t1+t2) describing the trip to mirror E(the parallel-to-motion mirror) and back. However, by taking the square root of the term 1 - (u^2/c^2), it will be less than the same denominator in eq. 15.4 in the link that isn't being evaluated the square root of. So therefore, a smaller denominator, and because of a smaller denominator, a larger overall value in eq. 15.5 in the link vs. eq.
Bishamonten
http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_15.html#Ch15-S3

I'm reading through Feynman's chapter on special relativity in the first volume of his books in order to have a more comprehensive idea of it as I go through the special relativity homework given to us as extra credit for our electromagnetism class.

I'm having a tough time however, understanding the logic behind the math in section 3 in the link titled "The Michelson-Morley experiment". When Feynman introduces eq. 15.5(that is, the equation that describes the time it would take for the beam of light to travel to the mirror perpendicular to the direction of the Earth's motion in orbit and back, i.e., the one that Lorentz didn't add the length contraction to later), and then afterwards wants us to compare it to the equation that describes the time the beam would take to the other mirror parallel to the motion and back, he says the following:

"And behold, these modifications are not the same—the time to go to C and back is a little less than the time to E and back, even though the mirrors are equidistant from B, and all we have to do is to measure that difference with precision."

My problem is the equation of time(2t3) describing the trip to mirror C(the perpendicular-to-motion mirror) and back involves a square root of the same denominator in the equation of time(t1+t2) describing the trip to mirror E(the parallel-to-motion mirror) and back. By that logic then, it has a smaller denominator than the equation of the latter, and therefore since the numerators are equivalent(as Feynman himself points out), shouldn't it produce a larger magnitude of time than the latter?(meaning, isn't the math actually saying the opposite: that the beam will take longer to reach C and back than it would to reach E and back?).

Not that I'm getting lost in the math or anything that I forgot the intention of the experiment, but that my misunderstanding of his description of the experiment is bothering me enough to not carry on reading the rest of the chapter until I understand what he was really trying to say.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you take the square root of a number in (0,1), it gets larger, not smaller.

Likes Bishamonten
FactChecker said:
When you take the square root of a number in (0,1), it gets larger, not smaller.
What do you mean by (0, 1)? In any case, what I meant is that by taking the square root of the term 1 - (u^2/c^2), it will be less than the same denominator in eq. 15.4 in the link that isn't being evaluated the square root of. So therefore, a smaller denominator, and because of a smaller denominator, a larger overall value in eq. 15.5 in the link vs. eq. 15.4.

But according to Feynman, eq. 15.5 is supposed to yield a smaller time, not a bigger one. Unless he was not talking about the entire equations themselves, and just the added denominators in the bottom. In that case, would you be able to explain the logic behind that? I thought the entire equations (t1 + t2, 2t3) are supposed to describe the time it takes to go from one of the respective mirrors and back.

But ##u^2 <c^2##, so ##0<1-u^2/c^2\leq 1##. And, as @FactChecker noted, the square root of a number in the range 0-1 is larger, not smaller.

Likes Bishamonten
Ibix said:
But ##u^2 <c^2##, so ##0<1-u^2/c^2\leq 1##. And, as @FactChecker noted, the square root of a number in the range 0-1 is larger, not smaller.

Ah, that's what he was saying, and ultimately that's what Feynman was trying to say to my dumb head too! Now it makes sense to me now that I'm not overlooking this fact. Thank you very much you guys.

1. What is the Michelson-Morley Experiment?

The Michelson-Morley Experiment was a scientific experiment conducted in 1887 by Albert Michelson and Edward Morley to detect the existence of the "luminiferous ether", a hypothetical medium through which light was thought to propagate. This experiment aimed to measure the speed of light in different directions and compare them to see if there was any variation, which would indicate the presence of the ether.

2. How did Feynman explain the Michelson-Morley Experiment in his lectures?

In his lectures, Feynman explained that the Michelson-Morley Experiment was designed to measure the speed of light in two perpendicular directions, one parallel to the Earth's motion around the sun and the other perpendicular to it. According to the concept of the ether, the speed of light in the two directions would be different, but the experiment showed that the speed of light was constant in all directions, contradicting the concept of the ether.

3. What were the results of the Michelson-Morley Experiment?

The results of the Michelson-Morley Experiment showed that the speed of light was the same in all directions, regardless of the Earth's motion. This meant that the concept of the ether, which was believed to be the medium through which light propagated, was incorrect. It also provided evidence for Albert Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

4. Why is the Michelson-Morley Experiment important in the field of physics?

The Michelson-Morley Experiment was a groundbreaking experiment that challenged the existing beliefs about the nature of light and the concept of the ether. Its results were crucial in the development of the theory of relativity and paved the way for future research in the field of physics. It also helped to establish the principle of the constancy of the speed of light, which has become a fundamental concept in modern physics.

5. How does the Michelson-Morley Experiment relate to modern physics?

The results of the Michelson-Morley Experiment played a significant role in shaping modern physics. It provided evidence for the theory of relativity and helped to disprove the concept of the ether, which was a fundamental concept in classical physics. The principles and methodology used in the experiment also laid the foundation for many other scientific experiments and advancements in the field of physics.