Understanding 3D NMR HNCA Spectra: Identifying Peak Data and Arranging in Order

In summary, a physics student is taking a class in biophysics in hopes of working in the shared space between the two disciplines. They are working with 3D NMR data of a short protein and are trying to determine the number of residues present based on the number of peaks in each slice. They are seeking confirmation or correction on their approach. Additionally, they are advised to have information on the protein's sequence and size before doing assignments. The presence of two peaks in each slice is due to the HNCA experiment. It is also mentioned that shuffling the slices is not necessary and the question is moved to a forum for chemistry and biology homework help.
Allday
hey bio people,

Im a physics student, but I am taking a class in biophysics with hopes to work in the space that the two disciplines share. Anybody do 3D NMR here...

I'm looking at slices in the N direction of a 3D HNCA spectrum of a short protein (so the amide hydrogen and alpha carbon correlations) and there are two peaks in each slice. to me this represents the data from 4 residues because 4 N slices with data indicate at least 4 amide groups. logical? the next step is to arrange them in order, but I think I can do that if i know the number of residues I am dealing with and 4 is what I am thinking. confirmation or correction would be helpfull,

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you really should know how many residues you have in your protein and what they are (although it sounds like you have more a short peptide sequence than some ridiculously huge 300 residue protein). That should be information you are either informed of or are able to get by sequencing. I work in a protein NMR lab, we always extensively characterize our proteins in terms of sequence and size before doing assignments. Of course, there are some people who think you should be able to do peptide NMR without such information, I consider them a bit messed up in the head...

Anyway, figuring that the four N slices are adequately dispersed (e.g., not dealing with 112.3 ppm, 112.4 ppm, 112.5 ppm, and 112.6 ppm or something as bad), you can probably presume that you have four different amides. That there are two peaks in each slice has to do with the HNCA experiment - the magnetization can transfer one bond to the adjacent CA or through two bonds to the preceding CA.

I'm not sure what you're talking about in terms of arranging the slices in order, though. They show up where they show up in the spectrum, you don't go shuffling your slices around since they are attached to an amide N chemical shift.

You'll probably get more help from the chemists than the biologists on an NMR question. Either way, I'm moving it over to the "other sciences" homework forum which is for both biology and chemistry homework type questions.

Related to Understanding 3D NMR HNCA Spectra: Identifying Peak Data and Arranging in Order

1. What is a 3D NMR HNCA experiment?

A 3D NMR HNCA (heteronuclear correlation via single-quantum coherence transfer) experiment is a type of nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy technique used to study the structure and dynamics of proteins. It involves measuring the correlation between the hydrogen and nitrogen atoms in a protein molecule.

2. How does a 3D NMR HNCA experiment work?

The experiment uses a combination of radiofrequency pulses and magnetic fields to manipulate the spin state of the hydrogen and nitrogen atoms in the protein. The resulting signals are then analyzed to determine the distances and angles between the atoms, providing information about the protein's structure and dynamics.

3. What are the advantages of using a 3D NMR HNCA experiment?

One of the main advantages of this technique is its ability to provide detailed information about the structure and dynamics of proteins in solution, without the need for crystallization. It can also be used to study large proteins and protein complexes, as well as provide insights into protein-ligand interactions.

4. What are the limitations of a 3D NMR HNCA experiment?

One limitation is that it requires a large amount of protein, which can be challenging for proteins that are difficult to produce or purify. Additionally, the data analysis process can be complex and time-consuming, requiring specialized software and expertise.

5. How is a 3D NMR HNCA experiment used in scientific research?

This technique is commonly used in structural biology research to study the structure and dynamics of proteins involved in diseases, drug development, and other biological processes. It can also be used in combination with other NMR techniques to provide a more comprehensive understanding of protein structure and function.