Why a car decelerates after releasing the gas pedal?

In summary, when a car is released from the gas pedal, it will naturally decelerate due to air resistance and kinetic friction. Air resistance is caused by the collision of gas atoms with a moving object, while kinetic friction is caused by forces such as gravity and the contact between the tires and the road. This can be further explained through concepts such as drag and rolling resistance.
vxr
Homework Statement
Why car decelerates after releasing the gas pedal?
Relevant Equations
none
After the foot is released from the gas pedal, the car will naturally start decelerating.

From my understanding two things are causing this: air resistance and kinetic friction. From my understanding also, in a vacuum and in a place where gravity is relatively small, the car would not decelerate at all. (putting aside the fact that it probably wouldn't be able to drive forward on a surface at all, I guess)

But can someone give a more detailed explanation?
Two questions mainly:
1. Why exactly air resistance is causing deceleration, or for example due to air resistance free falling object has some critical (maximum) velocity. But why is air doing that? Is it because, well, air is basically bunch of gas atoms that are colliding with a moving object, creating some Force?

2. Why is kinetic friction of tires causing deceleration? From my understanding it's mainly due to force of gravitation, and without gravitation there most likely wouldn't be friction, because there would be no contact force (caused by weight) and no ground reaction force (3rd Newton Law I believe).

I just need some "more formal" explanation on both of my questions. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. You are essentially correct. Think of air as a fluid like water only less dense. To move through it, you need to accelerate it and move it out of your way. That means a force exerted by you on it and a reaction force exerted by it on you. Also, don't forget the less important, but still acting, static buoyant force, the same one that keeps hot air balloons in the air. For "more formal" mathematical treatment, you can do your research, perhaps starting with drag.

2. Start here to learn about rolling resistance.

Likes vxr
Likely of less relevance to the lesson: the engine revs begin to drop to idle.

vxr said:
Why is kinetic friction of tires causing deceleration?
It doesn't, unless you brake so hard you skid. If the wheels are in rolling contact then it is static friction. Freewheeling on a level surface, that neither speeds you up nor slows you down.

There is kinetic friction in the axle, creating a torque.

There is rolling resistance between the tyre and the road. This is caused by deformations in each, mostly the tyre.
As the wheel turns, the part coming into contact with the road flattens, as that leaving the road returns to its circular form. The elasticity is imperfect, so the force needed to flatten it is a little greater than that produced by the tyre as it recovers. This means the effective position of the normal force is displaced forwards from the axle, so generates a torque opposing rotation of the wheel.

1. Why does a car slow down after releasing the gas pedal?

When you release the gas pedal, the car's engine stops providing power to the wheels. Without this power, the car gradually loses speed due to the force of friction acting on the wheels and other resistance forces such as air resistance and rolling resistance.

2. What causes a car to decelerate when the gas pedal is not pressed?

As mentioned before, the main cause of a car decelerating when the gas pedal is not pressed is friction and other resistance forces. These forces act against the forward motion of the car, slowing it down over time.

3. Is it normal for a car to slow down after releasing the gas pedal?

Yes, it is completely normal for a car to slow down after releasing the gas pedal. This is a natural result of the car's engine no longer providing power to maintain its speed.

4. Can other factors besides friction cause a car to decelerate after releasing the gas pedal?

Yes, there are other factors that can contribute to a car's deceleration after releasing the gas pedal. These include the weight of the car, the slope of the road, and the condition of the tires and brakes.

5. How long does it take for a car to come to a complete stop after releasing the gas pedal?

The time it takes for a car to come to a complete stop after releasing the gas pedal can vary depending on the speed of the car, the resistance forces acting on it, and other factors. It is best to always allow enough time and space to gradually slow down and stop your car safely.