Understanding Basic Physics Concepts: Exploring Units and Equations

In summary, the person asking the questions is embarrassed because they seem basic compared to others on the forum. They are not familiar with physics and need help understanding two questions. The first question asks for the units of a and b in a given equation, and the second question involves finding the values of exponents in an equation with specific dimensions. The person only knows basic information about dimensions, such as the units for acceleration and speed, but does not know how to approach these questions. They have also mentioned that the units on both sides of an equation must be the same.
Catalyst333
I am very embarrassed to ask these questions because compared to other questions on these boards, these two seem very basic. Nonetheless, I have never taking physics and I am having a hard time grasping its concepts. So here are two simple questions that maybe someone could answer and explain for me. Thanks!

1st Q: During a short interval of time the speed v in m/s of an automobile is given by v = at^2 + bt^3, where the time t is in seconds. The units of a and b should be?

2nd Q: Suppose A = B^n*C^m, where A has dimensions LT, B has dimensions L^2T^–1, and C has dimensions LT^2. Then the exponents n and m have the values:

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show your work before we can help-- forum rules. What do you know about the dimensions of an equation?

To be honest, I have no idea where to start with these two questions. I was hoping someone could get me started with either one. The only thing I know about dimensions is that acceleration is Length/Time^2 and speed is Length/time. My teacher zipped through this part and the book does not seem to talk about it. In other words, i don't know much about dimensions :(

The units on both sides of an equation must be the same.
You can multiply/divide different units but you can only add/subtract the same units ( a bit like canceling fractions).

so, area (m^2) = length(m) * width(m)
or, distance(m) = speed(m/s)*time(s) + 1/2 acceleration(m/s^2)*time(s)^2

Related to Understanding Basic Physics Concepts: Exploring Units and Equations

1. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both the speed and direction of an object's motion, while speed is a scalar quantity that only measures the rate of motion without regard to direction.

2. How does an object's mass affect its acceleration?

An object's mass is directly proportional to its acceleration, meaning that the greater the mass, the smaller the acceleration for a given force. This can be seen in Newton's second law of motion, F=ma.

3. What is the difference between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. Both potential and kinetic energy can be converted into each other.

4. How does the force of gravity affect objects on Earth's surface?

The force of gravity on Earth is what gives objects their weight and causes them to accelerate towards the ground at a rate of 9.8 m/s^2. This is due to the Earth's mass and its gravitational pull on objects.

5. What is Newton's third law of motion?

Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal but opposite force back.