Understanding Bloch's Theorem: Dependence of u on k

• I
  • Thread starter aaaa202
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
Your Name]In summary, Bloch's theorem states that the solutions to the one electron Schrödinger equation in a periodic potential have the form ψ(r) = exp(i k⋅r)un(r), where un(r) has the same periodicity as the lattice and n labels the band number. The function un(r) is labeled by both the band index n and the wavenumber k because it describes a specific state of the electron in the lattice, taking into account both its energy level and momentum. This allows for a more complete understanding of the electron's behavior in the periodic potential.
aaaa202
As I understand it Blochs theorem says that the solutions to the one electron Schrödinger equation in a periodic potential has the form:

ψ(r) = exp(i kr)un(r)
, where un(r) has the same periodicity as the lattice and n labels the band number.

Now a detail that confuses me: In a book I am reading (see attached picture) the function u is labeled by two quantum numbers: The band index as well as the wavenumber k. Why does u depend on the wavenumber? Am I making a fuzz out of an unimportant detail?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2016-08-21 16:22:01.png
    Screenshot from 2016-08-21 16:22:01.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 440
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing up this question about Bloch's theorem. It is important to pay attention to details when studying quantum mechanics, so your confusion is understandable.

The reason why the function un(r) in Bloch's theorem is labeled by both the band index n and the wavenumber k is because the solutions to the Schrödinger equation in a periodic potential are not unique. In other words, there are multiple possible solutions that satisfy the same periodic boundary conditions.

The band index n represents the different energy levels or bands that electrons can occupy in the periodic potential. Each band has a different energy and can accommodate a certain number of electrons. The wavenumber k, on the other hand, represents the momentum of the electron in the lattice. Different values of k correspond to different states or wavefunctions of the electron.

So, the function un(r) depends on both the band index n and the wavenumber k because it describes a specific state of the electron in the periodic potential. This allows for a more complete description of the electron's behavior in the lattice.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the role of the wavenumber in Bloch's theorem. Keep up the good work in your studies of quantum mechanics!

Related to Understanding Bloch's Theorem: Dependence of u on k

1. What is Bloch's Theorem?

Bloch's Theorem is a fundamental concept in solid state physics that explains the behavior of electrons in a crystal lattice. It states that the wavefunction of an electron in a periodic crystal potential can be written as a product of a plane wave and a periodic function, with the latter being the Bloch function.

2. Why is Bloch's Theorem important?

Bloch's Theorem is important because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding the electronic structure of solids. It allows us to predict the energy levels and electron wavefunctions in a crystal, which is crucial for understanding the physical and chemical properties of materials.

3. How does Bloch's Theorem take into account the dependence of u on k?

The Bloch function, which is a periodic function in Bloch's Theorem, depends on the wavevector k. This means that the wavefunction of an electron will have a different form for different values of k. As k changes, the electron's energy and momentum will also change, affecting its behavior in the crystal.

4. Can Bloch's Theorem be applied to all types of crystals?

Yes, Bloch's Theorem is a general concept that can be applied to all types of crystals, including 1D, 2D, and 3D crystals. It is also applicable to both periodic and aperiodic crystals, making it an essential tool for understanding the electronic properties of various materials.

5. What are some real-life applications of Bloch's Theorem?

Bloch's Theorem has numerous real-life applications, including the design and development of electronic devices such as transistors and semiconductors. It is also important in the study of materials for renewable energy technologies, such as solar cells and fuel cells. Additionally, Bloch's Theorem is used in the field of quantum computing to understand the behavior of electrons in quantum systems.