Understanding Copper Density and Volume

• Thread starter joshv06
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary, the conversation is about a student who received homework from their teacher and is struggling to understand a question involving the density of copper. They are seeking help and someone has suggested using the equation for density to solve the problem.
joshv06
Yesterday my teacher gave me homework but I don't understand it. Heres th equestion:

Copper has a density of 4.44 g/cm squared. What is the volume of 2.78g of copper?

Thanks in advance for the help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What part of the question don't you understand?

joshv06 said:
Yesterday my teacher gave me homework but I don't understand it. Heres th equestion:

Copper has a density of 4.44 g/cm squared. What is the volume of 2.78g of copper?

The density should be in [tex]g/cm^3[/tex] and not in [tex]g/cm^2[/tex].

Do you know the equation
Denity=mass/volume

joshv06 said:

What part of the question don't you understand?? Tell us what you don't understand and we will explain it to you. Like fffff said use
density=mass/volume.

Related to Understanding Copper Density and Volume

1. What is density and how is it calculated?

Density is defined as the mass of a substance per unit volume. It is calculated by dividing the mass of a substance by its volume.

2. How is density measured in the laboratory?

Density can be measured in the laboratory using a variety of methods such as using a balance to measure mass and a graduated cylinder to measure volume.

3. What are the units for density?

The units for density depend on the units used for mass and volume. Some common units include grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) and kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

4. How does the density of a substance affect its properties?

The density of a substance can affect its properties in various ways. For example, substances with a higher density tend to sink in liquids with a lower density, and substances with a lower density tend to float on top of liquids with a higher density.

5. Can the density of a substance change?

Yes, the density of a substance can change under different conditions such as changes in temperature and pressure. For example, as temperature increases, the density of most substances decreases.