Understanding Distributive Law Using Arbitrary Union

• Thread starter Login
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Union
In summary: The only way this makes sense is if ##B = \{ X_{\gamma}, \gamma \in \Gamma \}## is a class class of sets, so when you write ##X \in B## you have ##X## itself is a set in the class ##B##. In other words, I think it is saying thatA \cup \bigcap_{\gamma \in \Gamma} X_{\gamma}= \bigcap_{\gamma \in \Gamma} A \cup X_{\gamma}
Login

Homework Statement

In the textbook I'm reading it tells me that [itex]A \cup \bigcap B = \bigcap \left\{ A \cup X | X \in B \right\}[/itex] for B not equal to ø

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how this would work, the left side of the equation creates a set where all of the elements of [itex]A[/itex] are included but the right side of the equation takes the arbitrary intersection of [itex]A \cup X[/itex], so wouldn't this mean that some of the elements of [itex]A[/itex] aren't necessarily included in this newly constructed set as the elements of [itex]A[/itex] aren't by necessity also elements of [itex]X[/itex]?

How can the left side of the equation be equal to the right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Login said:

Homework Statement

In the textbook I'm reading it tells me that [itex]A \cup \bigcap B = \bigcap \left\{ A \cup X | X \in B \right\}[/itex] for B not equal to ø

Homework Equations

I don't understand how this would work, the left side of the equation creates a set where all of the elements of [itex]A[/itex] are included but the right side of the equation takes the arbitrary intersection of [itex]A \cup X[/itex], so wouldn't this mean that some of the elements of [itex]A[/itex] aren't necessarily included in this newly constructed set as the elements of [itex]A[/itex] aren't by necessity also elements of [itex]X[/itex]?

The only way this makes sense is if ##B = \{ X_{\gamma}, \gamma \in \Gamma \}## is a class class of sets, so when you write ##X \in B## you have ##X## itself is a set in the class ##B##. In other words, I think it is saying that
[tex] A \cup \bigcap_{\gamma \in \Gamma} X_{\gamma}
= \bigcap_{\gamma \in \Gamma} A \cup X_{\gamma}[/tex]

Login said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

No, the union of A with any set, by definition, includes all elements of A. You are confusing the union with the intersection, [itex]A\cap X[/itex].

Related to Understanding Distributive Law Using Arbitrary Union

1. What is the distributive law?

The distributive law is a fundamental property in mathematics that describes how multiplication and addition are related. It states that for any three numbers a, b, and c, the result of multiplying a by the sum of b and c is the same as the sum of multiplying a by b and a by c.

2. How is the distributive law used in arbitrary union?

In set theory, the distributive law is used to distribute a union operation over another union operation. This means that the union of two sets A and B with an additional set C is the same as the union of the union of A and C, and the union of B and C.

3. Why is understanding distributive law important?

Understanding distributive law is important because it is a fundamental concept in mathematics that is used in many different areas, such as algebra, set theory, and logic. It allows us to manipulate and simplify equations and expressions, making complex problems more manageable.

4. How does the distributive law relate to real-world applications?

The distributive law has many real-world applications, such as in calculating the total cost of multiple items with different prices and discounts, or in breaking down a large task into smaller, more manageable subtasks. It also has applications in computer science, specifically in programming and data structures.

5. Are there any exceptions to the distributive law?

While the distributive law holds true for most mathematical operations, there are a few exceptions. For example, it does not hold for division or subtraction. Additionally, it may not hold for non-numeric values, such as matrices or functions. However, in most cases, the distributive law is a reliable and useful property in mathematics.