Understanding Exponential Terms in Quantum Mechanics Problem

In summary, the integral converges when the cosine term is replaced by the Fourier transform of a Coulomb potential.
NightHaWk
Homework Statement
Consider an electric dipole consisting of two electric charges e and −e at a mutual distance 2a.
Consider also a particle of charge e and mass m with an incident wave vector k perpendicular to
the direction of the dipole.

1. Calculate the scattering amplitude in the Born approximation. Find the directions at which
the differential cross section is maximal.
Relevant Equations
-
So I am trying to understand and solve the problem mentioned in the title.I found a solution online:

https://physics.bgu.ac.il/COURSES/QuantumMechCohen/ExercisesPool/EXERCISES/ex_9011_sol_Y09.pdf

The problem is, I can't understand this step :

Image 1.png

I relly can't find out how the two expontential terms in the parenthesis show up. Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Change of variables.
The first term he changed to ##r \mapsto r+a## and the second term you know what to do, don't you? ;-)

Likes vanhees71 and NightHaWk
If you could explain the second term as well i would be grateful because I still cannot get the same result as the given solution :)

Likes Delta2
Ok, I'll explain.
If you change variables ##r'=r+a## you get that ##r=r'-a##, so the exponential in the integral becomes
##e^{ir\cdot q} = e^{i(r'-a)\cdot q}##, and because you now integrate over ##r'## (the Jacobian of this change of variables is one), ##|r+a|=|r'|##.

With the second term you use ##r\mapsto r-a##, simple isn't it? :-)

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Ok, I'll explain.
If you change variables ##r'=r+a## you get that ##r=r'-a##, so the exponential in the integral becomes
##e^{ir\cdot q} = e^{i(r'-a)\cdot q}##, and because you now integrate over ##r'## (the Jacobian of this change of variables is one), ##|r+a|=|r'|##.

With the second term you use ##r\mapsto r-a##, simple isn't it? :-)
So you basically mean we first break up the integral to a sum of two integrals, then do a separate change of variable to each integral, and then reunite the two integrals? Yes I think it is correct if the domain of integration is whole ##\mathbb{R^3}##.

Last edited:
Likes NightHaWk and Delta2
That is what I was wondering about the second term, I did the separete change of variable,but I could not justify the reunion under one common integral.Thank you very much for the help!

NightHaWk said:
Homework Statement:: Consider an electric dipole consisting of two electric charges e and −e at a mutual distance 2a.
Consider also a particle of charge e and mass m with an incident wave vector k perpendicular to
the direction of the dipole.

1. Calculate the scattering amplitude in the Born approximation. Find the directions at which
the differential cross section is maximal.
Relevant Equations:: -

So I am trying to understand and solve the problem mentioned in the title.I found a solution online:

https://physics.bgu.ac.il/COURSES/QuantumMechCohen/ExercisesPool/EXERCISES/ex_9011_sol_Y09.pdf

The problem is, I can't understand this step :

View attachment 250782

I relly can't find out how the two expontential terms in the parenthesis show up. Any help greatly appreciated.
In the same solution, can someone please explain how the integral that shows up later converges? After integrating over cos(theta) you get something oh the integral(sin(qr),r,0,inf). They somehow integrated this in the pdf

Likes hutchphd
It's the Fourier transform of a Coulomb potential. The most simple solution is to solve for
$$\Delta \Phi=-\delta^{(3)}(\vec{x})$$
with the solution
$$\Phi(\vec{x})=\frac{1}{4 \pi r}.$$
In Fourier space, writing
$$\Phi(\vec{x})=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \frac{\mathrm{d}^3 q}{(2 \pi)^3} \tilde{\Phi}(\vec{q}).$$
Then from the equation you get
$$-\vec{q}^2 \tilde{\Phi}=-1 \; \Rightarrow \; \tilde{\Phi}(\vec{q})=\frac{1}{\vec{q}^2}.$$
To check we evaluate the Fourier integral
$$\Psi(\vec{x})=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 q \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^3 q^2} \exp(\mathrm{i} \vec{q} \cdot \vec{x}).$$
In spherical coordinates with ##u=\cos \vartheta## and ##\vec{x} = r \vec{e}_z## we have
$$\Psi(\vec{x}) = \frac{1}{4 \pi^2} \int_0^{\infty} \mathrm{d} q \int_{-1}^1 \mathrm{d} u \exp(\mathrm{i} q r u) = \frac{1}{2 \pi^2 r} \int_0^{\infty} \mathrm{d} q \frac{\sin(q r)}{q}=\frac{1}{4 \pi r}=\Phi(\vec{x}.$$
QED.

Likes hutchphd

What is an exponential term in quantum mechanics?

An exponential term in quantum mechanics refers to a mathematical expression that involves a base number raised to a power. This type of term is commonly used to describe the behavior of particles in quantum systems.

How do exponential terms affect quantum mechanical calculations?

Exponential terms play a crucial role in quantum mechanical calculations as they represent the probability amplitudes of particles in a system. These terms are used to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions with each other, making them essential in understanding the dynamics of quantum systems.

What is the significance of exponential terms in quantum mechanics?

The significance of exponential terms in quantum mechanics lies in their ability to accurately describe the behavior of particles in quantum systems. These terms allow scientists to make predictions about the behavior of particles and understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

How can one better understand exponential terms in quantum mechanics?

One can better understand exponential terms in quantum mechanics by studying the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and the mathematical equations that describe them. It is also helpful to practice solving problems that involve exponential terms in order to gain a deeper understanding of their significance.

Are there any real-world applications of exponential terms in quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of exponential terms in quantum mechanics. These include the development of quantum computers, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensors. Exponential terms also play a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles in quantum systems, which has important implications for various fields such as chemistry, biology, and materials science.