Understanding Friction in Car and Trailer: Free Body Diagram Help

In summary, the car is accelerating to the left due to the friction from the driving wheels. The caravan's wheels are free to turn, so there is no friction on them except for a small amount in the wheel bearings. To find the friction required for the car's wheels to not slip, use the equation F = μR, where μ is the coefficient of friction and R is the normal force acting on the car. This coefficient is constant unless conditions change, and it is assumed that the car is on the point of moving. Therefore, the car is not accelerating, but there is still a resistance force acting on it.
eterna

Homework Statement

http://postimg.org/image/vnn9m9au9/

For the car why is the friction acting towards the left. Shouldn't it be towards the right since the car is moving to the left

And why is there no friction for the trailer?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The friction is what is making the car accelerate to the left - it's the grip that the driving wheels have on the ground. There is no friction on the wheels of the caravan because the wheels are free to turn, though there will be a small amount of friction in the wheel bearings.

james26 said:
The friction is what is making the car accelerate to the left - it's the grip that the driving wheels have on the ground. There is no friction on the wheels of the caravan because the wheels are free to turn, though there will be a small amount of friction in the wheel bearings.

thanks

and by "find the friction required so that the wheels of the car do not slip", what exactly do they want once I've found the friction from doing the problem?

eterna said:
and by "find the friction required so that the wheels of the car do not slip", what exactly do they want once I've found the friction from doing the problem?

I think they want the (minimum) coefficient of static friction, not the frictional force.
james26 said:
There is no friction on the wheels of the caravan because the wheels are free to turn, though there will be a small amount of friction in the wheel bearings.
Pedantic note: to the extent that there is friction in the bearings, there will also be friction from the road acting to the right. The net torque of the two will be zero at constant speed. When the caravan accelerates, there will be additional friction from the road to provide the torque to accelerate the rotation of the wheels.

they are simply asking for the friction Force.
(you could calculate the required coefficient, after finding the drive wheel's Normal Force and the friction Force)
They ought to say, "find the friction required to cause this acceleration", because it is the same friction needed whether the tires slip or don't slip.

Use the equation $$F = \mu R$$ where $$\mu$$ is the coefficient of friction and $$R$$ is the normal force acting on the car. You can find F by resolving the forces horizontally and setting them equal to $$ma$$ where $$a = 0$$

@VancEE: They are calling "the friction" F ... they would ask for "the minimum coefficient" if that's what they wanted. I'd bet that eterna has calculated friction coefficients before.

most important, the horizontal acceleration is NOT zero
(so friction is not zero, and the trailer hitch Force has horizontal and vertical components).

lightgrav said:
@VancEE: They are calling "the friction" F ... they would ask for "the minimum coefficient" if that's what they wanted.
I disagree. The text asks for the minimum friction "so that the tires do not slip". The frictional force required for the given acceleration does not depend on whether the tyres slip.
In the absence of such a clue, I find the unqualified term "friction" entirely ambiguous - it could equally well be asking for frictional force or coefficient. Given the clue, I see no ambiguity.

lightgrav said:
... they would ask for "the minimum coefficient"
I've never heard of a "minimum" coefficient when dealing with friction. The coefficient is constant unless conditions change e.g. rough to smooth surface. We must assume that the car is on point of moving (limiting equillibrium), therefore letting a = 0. Letting a equal zero does not imply that there is no resistance. This simply means that the car is not accelerating, which it is not if the car is simply on point of moving.

Related to Understanding Friction in Car and Trailer: Free Body Diagram Help

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It includes all the external forces and their directions, but does not include any internal forces within the object.

2. Why are free body diagrams important?

Free body diagrams are important because they help us analyze the motion and behavior of objects by identifying and visualizing the forces acting on them. This allows us to apply Newton's laws of motion and other principles to understand and predict the behavior of objects.

3. How do I draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, you should first identify the object you want to analyze and all the forces acting on it. Then, draw a simple, labeled sketch of the object with arrows representing the direction and magnitude of each force. Make sure to label each force and use a consistent scale for the arrows.

4. Can a free body diagram be used for objects in motion?

Yes, a free body diagram can be used for objects in motion. The diagram will show all the forces acting on the object at a particular instant in time, and can be used to analyze the motion and acceleration of the object.

5. Are there any limitations to using free body diagrams?

While free body diagrams are a useful tool for analyzing the forces acting on an object, they have some limitations. They only consider external forces and do not take into account the shape or size of an object, and they cannot accurately represent complex or dynamic systems.