Understanding Galilean structure

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time in a 4D affine space and its mapping to a real number. It also touches on the kernel of such a mapping and the dimension of the Galilean group. The conversation also mentions the difference between Galileo spacetime and Minkowski spacetime and suggests further reading for clarification.
hunc
I just start to read Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics by Arnold. And I am sort of very puzzled by all the notion.
Firstly, if the universe is seen as a 4D affine space, why is time a mapping from [itex]R^4→R[/itex]? I mean this kind of 4D contains time, right?
Secondly, I thought the kernel of such a mapping t should be the set of events simultaneous with a given event (affine apace), yet it saids kernel is a 3D linear subspace of a vector space [itex]R^4[/itex].
Thirdly, I never formally took a class on group theory, and google did not exactly answer me. But what is the dimension of the galilean group (or any other group).

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
hunc said:
Firstly, if the universe is seen as a 4D affine space, why is time a mapping from [itex]R^4→R[/itex]? I mean this kind of 4D contains time, right?
Every point in spacetime (R^4) gets exactly one real value "time". The mapping is trivial here, it will get more interesting in special relativity.

Secondly, I thought the kernel of such a mapping t should be the set of events simultaneous with a given event (affine apace), yet it saids kernel is a 3D linear subspace of a vector space [itex]R^4[/itex].
While "t=0" is nothing special for physics, it's still the kernel by definition, and it is a 3D linear subspace of R^4.

The Galilei group is a 10 dimensional Lie group. It's the basic symmetry group of non-relativistic physics, being more important to Quantum Mechanics than to Classical Mechanics.

Every point in spacetime (R^4) gets exactly one real value "time". The mapping is trivial here, it will get more interesting in special relativity.
I see. I guess I'll have to wait for the special relativity to come in.

While "t=0" is nothing special for physics, it's still the kernel by definition, and it is a 3D linear subspace of R^4.
I still don't get it. How does "t=0" provide a fixed origin for the space (if that is indeed what it takes to change a affine space to a linear space)?

Regards,
hunc

dextercioby said:
The Galilei group is a 10 dimensional Lie group. It's the basic symmetry group of non-relativistic physics, being more important to Quantum Mechanics than to Classical Mechanics.
I dig into a Lie group textbook and find the definition. Thanks.

hunc said:
I still don't get it. How does "t=0" provide a fixed origin for the space (if that is indeed what it takes to change a affine space to a linear space)?
What do you mean with "provide"? The definition of this point is arbitrary. In every (arbitrary) fixed system, t=0 is a linear 3D subspace.

mfb said:
What do you mean with "provide"? The definition of this point is arbitrary. In every (arbitrary) fixed system, t=0 is a linear 3D subspace.
Before t=0, we have an affine space. By t=0, we fixed a point in "time", not "space". So how should we end up with a linear space?

hunc said:
Before t=0, we have an affine space.
What does that mean?
We "have" a 4D space. This 4D space has some arbitrary point defined as (0,0,0,0) with arbitrary direction definitions and so on. Now you can consider all points (0,x,y,z). They form a linear subspace.

mfb said:
What does that mean? We "have" a 4D space.
Maybe I didn't put it clear enough. A 4D space is what I had in mind before reading Arnold. But in the book Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics, it introduce galilean space-time structure as a affine space A4. And it kind of offers the difference between the two case in the image. What puzzles me is how are such difference generated.

Attachments

• 20140819012756.png
    20140819012756.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 581
Sorry, I don't understand what the problem is.

I thought, mathematically Galileo spacetime is a fibrebundle, 3d affine euclidean spaces along the time axis. It's nicely explained in

R. Penrose, Road to reality.

Minkowski spacetime is a 4d pseudo-euclidean affine space with a fundamental form of signature (1,3).

mfb said:
Sorry, I don't understand what the problem is.
Thanks still.

vanhees71 said:
I thought, mathematically Galileo spacetime is a fibrebundle, 3d affine euclidean spaces along the time axis. It's nicely explained in

R. Penrose, Road to reality.

Minkowski spacetime is a 4d pseudo-euclidean affine space with a fundamental form of signature (1,3).

I'll check it out. Thanks for the input.

One important note: By R^4, Arnold does not denote RxRxRxR, but any four-dimensional real vector space (he states that very early). That's not really an issue, as they are isomorphic to each other, but once you forget about the construction via cartesian products, the time mapping is not "trivial" in the sense of canonical.

Likes cianfa72

1. What is Galilean structure?

Galilean structure refers to the fundamental principles and laws of physics discovered by Galileo Galilei, an Italian scientist in the 16th and 17th centuries. These principles include the concepts of inertia, acceleration, and the law of falling bodies.

2. How does Galilean structure differ from Newtonian structure?

Galilean structure and Newtonian structure are similar in that they both describe the laws of motion and mechanics. However, Newtonian structure is a more advanced version that includes the concept of gravity and is more accurate at describing the behavior of objects at high speeds and in extreme conditions.

3. What is the importance of understanding Galilean structure?

Understanding Galilean structure is crucial for understanding the basic laws and principles of physics. It also serves as the foundation for more advanced theories and models, such as Newtonian mechanics, which are essential for many fields of science and engineering.

4. How did Galileo contribute to the development of Galilean structure?

Galileo is credited with discovering and formulating many of the fundamental principles of Galilean structure, including the concept of inertia and the law of falling bodies. He also conducted experiments and made observations that helped support and validate these principles.

5. How does Galilean structure impact our everyday lives?

Galilean structure plays a significant role in our everyday lives, as it governs the motion and behavior of objects around us. For example, our understanding of inertia is what allows us to safely drive a car and our understanding of gravity helps us predict the motion of objects in our environment, such as the planets in our solar system.