Understanding Hawking Radiation: Energy Subtracted from Black Holes

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Hawking Radiation and its mechanism of energy subtraction from black holes. The idea of virtual particles as the cause of Hawking Radiation is considered flawed and it is stated that the physical process of a particle with negative energy taking away mass from a black hole is the essence of Hawking Radiation.
jaydnul
Something I don't understand is how the energy is subtracted from the black hole. So let's say one pair of virtual particles pop up on the event horizon, the particle goes in, the antiparticle goes out. Then let's say that a second pair does the opposite.

My first question is why is the antiparticle from the first pair colliding with the particle from the second pair any different than colliding with its original partner? Has it just had enough time to become a real particle and therefore emits a photon to conserve energy?

If so, wouldn't the two particles colliding inside the event horizon give off light as well? How is the energy removed from the black hole?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I find this very weird myself. The standard "explanation" I have heard several times on this forum is that it doesn't matter which particle falls in, it automatically has negative energy and thus reduces the mass of the black hole.

More significantly, the whole issue of "virtual particles" as the mechanism for Hawking Radiation is bogus. Hawking said that this "particle pair" thing is JUST an analogy that was the closest he could come to describing in English something that really can only be described in the math.

As to another part of your post, anything that happens inside the event horizon is irrelevant to the rest of the universe and does not cause any loss of mass to the black hole.

But what is the physical process. What does a particle with negative energy actually do to the black hole (other than just saying it takes away energy)?

Jd0g33 said:
But what is the physical process. What does a particle with negative energy actually do to the black hole (other than just saying it takes away energy)?
Taking away energy is equivalent to taking away mass and that is what Hawking Radiation IS ... the removal of mass from a BH.

EDIT: I think I stated that a bit awkwardly. Taking away mass from a BH is the EFFECT of HR, not quite "what it is" as I said originally).

Last edited:

I can understand your confusion about the concept of Hawking radiation and how energy is subtracted from black holes. Let me try to clarify this for you.

Hawking radiation is a theoretical process proposed by physicist Stephen Hawking in the 1970s. It suggests that black holes, which are known for their immense gravitational pull, also have a temperature and emit particles, called Hawking radiation. This process is possible due to the quantum effects near the event horizon of a black hole.

Now, to address your first question, the antiparticle from the first pair colliding with the particle from the second pair is different from colliding with its original partner because of the time factor. As you correctly mentioned, the antiparticle has enough time to become a real particle before colliding with the particle from the second pair. This conversion of virtual particles into real particles is possible due to the strong gravitational pull near the event horizon. This results in the emission of a photon, which carries away energy from the black hole.

To answer your second question, yes, the two particles colliding inside the event horizon would also give off light. However, this light would be trapped inside the black hole and would not be able to escape its immense gravitational pull. So, we cannot observe this light from outside the black hole.

Finally, to understand how energy is removed from the black hole, we need to look at the bigger picture. As particles are continuously being emitted from the black hole, it loses mass and therefore, energy. This energy is conserved through the emission of Hawking radiation, which carries away energy from the black hole. Over time, this results in the black hole losing mass and eventually evaporating completely.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept of Hawking radiation and how energy is subtracted from black holes. It is a complex and fascinating phenomenon that is still being studied and researched by scientists.

Related to Understanding Hawking Radiation: Energy Subtracted from Black Holes

1. What is Hawking radiation?

Hawking radiation is a theoretical concept proposed by physicist Stephen Hawking in the 1970s. It is a type of radiation that is believed to be emitted by black holes, causing them to slowly lose energy and eventually evaporate.

2. How does Hawking radiation work?

According to Hawking's theory, pairs of particles and antiparticles are constantly being created and destroyed near the event horizon of a black hole. In some cases, one of the particles may be pulled into the black hole while the other escapes, carrying away energy in the form of radiation.

3. Can Hawking radiation be observed?

Currently, Hawking radiation has not been directly observed, as it is very weak and difficult to detect. However, there have been some indirect observations and experiments that support its existence.

4. How does Hawking radiation affect black holes?

Hawking radiation causes black holes to lose mass and shrink over time. As a black hole loses energy, its temperature increases and it emits more radiation, leading to a faster rate of evaporation. Eventually, the black hole will completely evaporate and cease to exist.

5. What are the implications of Hawking radiation?

Hawking radiation has major implications for our understanding of black holes and the laws of thermodynamics. It suggests that black holes are not completely "black" and can emit energy, contradicting previous theories. It also raises questions about the ultimate fate of black holes and the possibility of information loss.