Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding Heat Exchangers

1. Aug 18, 2010 #1
    Hi Physics Forum-ers, long time reader, first time poster.

I've been given the task to do a simulation for the cooling of a motor from 50C to 20C. The motor is cooled using a water cooling system, and a 3.5kW heat exchanger.

I've done some quick preliminary calculation, but I'm getting stuck on the limits of the heat exchanger. My current formula looks like:

Twater(1) = Twater(0) + Heat From motor(~2kW) - Heat Removed From exchanger (~3.5kW)

(I know I should use heat capacities and such, this is a simple model)

Now, the heat exchanger we are using is specced to remove 3.5kW of heat. I was told that using this value independent of temperature is an acceptable assumption, but if I were to assume that this will continuously remove 3.5kW, the water temperature would eventually drop below freezing, and I don't think this is correct. What type of function should I be using to describe the heat removed by the exchanger?

Other information:
    Refrigerant Conditions BXD: 16bar, 52C
    Refrigerant Conditions Suction: 3bar, 7K
    Coolant temperature 35C

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted