Understanding how transistors work

In summary, transistors are semiconductor devices that can be used as switches or to amplify voltages. They work by controlling the conductivity between their collector and emitter terminals with a small voltage applied to the base terminal. To amplify a 5V signal into 12V, you would need to modulate a 12V source with the 5V signal using a transistor. The type of transistor needed can be calculated based on the desired amplification and the characteristics of different transistor types can be studied in textbooks on semiconductor physics and devices. Transistors have replaced vacuum tubes and are also known as valves. They work by adjusting the effective internal resistance to produce a larger current, but cannot turn the resistance below 0 ohms. In order to
Atriusbread
I am not fully understanding how transistors work. It would be great if someone could explain to me more thoroughly. As I understand it and have read transistors can be used as switches or to amplify voltages. Say then I needed to amplify 5v into 12 volts. How would I do this with a transistor, and how would I calculate what type of transistor I need? (Is that what it means when I keep reading amplify?)

Engineering news on Phys.org

When you read amplify, think control.

Transistors replaced vacuum tubes and tubes were sometimes called valves. They kind of do act like a valve.

A transistor can't turn 5V into 12V, but it could modulate a 12V source to turn an input 5V (peak-to-peak) signal into an output 12V (peak-to-peak) signal. I like Horowitz and Hill's (The Art of Electronics) model of "transistor man;" he can look at the base-emitter current, and he can adjust the effective internal resistance of the transistor to give a proportionally larger collector-emitter current, but he can't turn the resistance below 0 ohms (or even that far). Does this make sense?

I would study the triode valve first. Field Effect Transistors (FETs, MOSFETs) work in a similar way.

Then PN junctions.. diodes.

And then bipolar junction transistors.. PNP and NPN.. Which are current amplifiers really. A small base current produces a much larger collector cuurent.

Well it depends on what you need to understand. If you want the details of how they work, then you should grab a book on the physics of electronic devices. I used Semiconductor Physics and Devices 3rd Edn by Donald Neamen. Otherwise if you simply want to know how they are used in the construction of micro-circuit amplifiers, then a book like Sedra & Smith's Microelectronic Circuits would do fine for you.

Atriusbread said:
I am not fully understanding how transistors work. It would be great if someone could explain to me more thoroughly. As I understand it and have read transistors can be used as switches or to amplify voltages. Say then I needed to amplify 5v into 12 volts. How would I do this with a transistor, and how would I calculate what type of transistor I need? (Is that what it means when I keep reading amplify?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_emitter_amplifier

Sounds like you need a basic textbook on transistors. I think this is the book that I study in the 70s, I got the book using the author "Malvino" and this came up. I looked through whatever they show in the book. Looked like it is the same book I thought. THis is a very good book for Bi-Polar transistors. I learn all the introduction of transistors from this book and I did move onto even bi-polar IC design in the 80s. I never even went to school except studying on my own. I see they sell this used as low as $7.00 on Amazon. You might want to take a chance.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0028028333/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Good luck. After this book, you can move onto more advanced and modern books.

Atriusbread said:

I will try to answer one question only, as simply as possible. "how transistors work".
Think of a transistor as a "voltage controlled semi-conductor, with 3 terminals B, C and E, whose conductivity between C and E varies in response to a (small) voltage applied to B".

How this conductivity is changed is what is the semi-conductor physics all about. That you can read in your textbooks - all the PN junction jazz, field effect, electron tunnel or whatever.

But basically, it boils down to altering the C to E conductivity from B's terminal voltage.

Say you have a typical NPN transistor, with E grounded, C connected to a DC bias and signal input at B: The increasing B's voltage makes C to E "path" more conducting and and falling B voltage makes the path less conducting. If there is a large voltage source at C, that will make large or small flow from C to E. As the voltage varies at B, the large current from C to E varies as the same waveform as the voltage at B. Now if you make this large current flow thru a resistance external to the transistor, you will get a large voltage waveform across the resistor...this is amplification.

If you push it to the extreme - using voltage at B if you make the transistor such that
if there is some minimum voltage at B the C to E path is totally conducting and it the voltage at is less, that will make C to E path totally non conducting...this is switching.

hope this can get you started to dig more deep...

sai

1. What is a transistor?

A transistor is a semiconductor device that acts as a switch or amplifier in an electronic circuit. It is made up of three layers of material, usually silicon, and can control the flow of electricity between two of its layers.

2. How does a transistor work?

A transistor works by controlling the flow of electrons through its layers. The middle layer, called the base, can be manipulated to either allow or block the flow of electrons between the other two layers, called the emitter and the collector. This allows the transistor to act as a switch or an amplifier.

3. What are the different types of transistors?

There are two main types of transistors: bipolar junction transistors (BJTs) and field-effect transistors (FETs). BJTs use both electrons and holes as charge carriers, while FETs use only one type of carrier. There are also different configurations of transistors, such as common emitter, common collector, and common base.

4. What is the role of a transistor in electronic devices?

Transistors are essential components in electronic devices as they allow for the manipulation and amplification of electrical signals. They are used in a wide range of devices, from computers and smartphones to televisions and radios.

5. What are the advantages of transistors over vacuum tubes?

Transistors have several advantages over vacuum tubes, including smaller size, lower power consumption, and greater durability. They also produce less heat and are less expensive to manufacture. These advantages have made transistors the preferred choice in most electronic devices today.