Understanding Kolmogorov-Smirnov Test Results for Random Number Generators

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Federica
Messages
12
Reaction score
1
Hi all,

I have some doubts regarding the Kolmogorov test: I made a simple c++ program generating two samples of random numbers following a Landau distribution (I used the "hit and miss" method). I made the Kolmogorov test, in order to check the randomness of the generator, but I'm having some problems with the interpretation of the results (I attach the histogram here).

It seems I'm having a probability which is (more or less) uniformly distributed from 0 to 1. Is that correct? Or there's something wrong with my code? I expected to get a probability really close to 1, since the two sets come from the same distribution.
 
Attachments
  • kolmogorov.png
    kolmogorov.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 303
Physics news on Phys.org
This sounds a lot like "Tell me if I have a bug in my code that I won't share with you based on a plot with ambiguous labels and not enough information to reproduce."

I think you might want to add some more details. A lot of them.