Understanding Laue Equations: Scattering Factors & Complex Exponentials

• Thread starter Roo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laue
Your name]In summary, the conversation revolves around clarifying two statements in the speaker's notes on diffraction. The first statement concerns the use of a complex exponential rather than a real space wave function to describe scattering from a unit cell. This is based on the "Bloch wave" description of diffraction. The second statement relates to the "Bragg condition", which states that the sum of the scattering factors from all unit cells in a crystal structure will go to zero unless certain conditions are met. These conditions are based on the principle of constructive interference and explain the discreet nature of diffraction patterns. Clarifications are provided by an expert in the field of diffraction.
Roo2
I can't really follow the template here since there's no specific question that I'm trying to answer; I'm going to give a presentation about diffraction next week and there's one particular line in my notes that doesn't make sense. I've attached the offending line to this post.

The fundamental presumption is that the scattering from a unit cell at coordinates (u,v,w) is equal to the scattering from a unit cell at the origin modulated by a complex exponential. This already confuses me; I understand that there is a scattering phase dependence on position (r*S) but I don't get why it has to be exponential and can't be modeled by a real space wave function. However, I'm willing to live with this as a postulate.

What really bothers me is the statement that the individual sums of the scattering factors go to zero unless a*S, b*S, and c*S are integers. Each wave component can be written, according to Euler's formula, as cos(2∏ua*S) + isin(2∏ua*S). I understand that in the case of perfectly constructive interference, where ua*S is indeed an integer, the real cosine term becomes 1 and the imaginary sine term becomes 0. However, if the waves are not perfectly antiphase but not completely in phase, you can get any number of values of both the real and imaginary term which are clearly non-zero. For example, if ua*S = n/2, then the real cosine term goes to zero and the imaginary sine term goes to 1. I have no idea what this physically corresponds to, but it's clearly non-zero.

I asked my professor about this and he said that while individually the equation does not evaluate to zero, the sum of all such equations for each unit cell dimension does. To me this seems like mathemagics. Could somebody please explain to me why the statement holds? It obviously does because the observed diffraction pattern (and therefore scattering angle) is discreet; however, I don't understand why. I would also like to know why scattering is modeled as a complex exponential rather than a real space wave; however, my other question is more important.

Thank you very much for your help.

Attachments

• Question.PNG
    Question.PNG
    26.3 KB · Views: 465
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your confusion about the statements in your notes on diffraction. As a scientist who specializes in this field, I would be happy to provide some clarification and explanation.

Firstly, the statement about the scattering from a unit cell being equal to the scattering from a unit cell at the origin modulated by a complex exponential is based on the mathematical description of diffraction. This is known as the "Bloch wave" description, which is a common approach used to understand the diffraction patterns observed in crystal structures. In simple terms, it means that the scattering from a unit cell at any point in space can be described as the sum of the scattering from a unit cell at the origin, multiplied by a complex exponential factor. This factor takes into account the phase difference between the scattered waves from different unit cells. This is why it is necessary to use a complex exponential rather than a real space wave function.

Moving on to the statement about the sum of the scattering factors going to zero unless certain conditions are met, this is known as the "Bragg condition". It is based on the principle of constructive interference, where the scattered waves from different unit cells add up in phase to produce a strong diffraction peak. This condition holds true for perfectly ordered crystal structures, where the unit cells are arranged in a regular pattern. In these cases, the sum of the complex exponential factors from all the unit cells will add up to a finite value, resulting in a strong diffraction peak. However, in cases where the crystal structure is not perfectly ordered, the sum of the complex exponential factors will cancel out and result in a zero value. This is why the diffraction pattern is discreet, as you have observed.

I hope this helps to clarify your confusion about these statements. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck with your presentation on diffraction!

Related to Understanding Laue Equations: Scattering Factors & Complex Exponentials

1. What is the purpose of the Laue equations?

The Laue equations are used in X-ray crystallography to determine the positions of atoms within a crystal lattice. They provide a mathematical relationship between the positions of atoms in a crystal and the diffraction pattern produced by X-rays passing through the crystal. This allows scientists to understand the atomic structure of materials and study their properties.

2. What are scattering factors in the Laue equations?

Scattering factors are coefficients that describe the scattering of X-rays by individual atoms within a crystal. They take into account the size, shape, and electronic properties of the atom, and are used in the Laue equations to calculate the intensity of the diffraction pattern produced by the crystal.

3. How are complex exponentials used in the Laue equations?

Complex exponentials are used to describe the phase shifts of the scattered X-rays as they interact with the atoms in the crystal. They are represented as complex numbers, with a magnitude and a phase angle, and are combined with the scattering factors to calculate the intensity of the diffraction pattern.

4. Are the Laue equations only applicable to X-ray crystallography?

No, the Laue equations can also be applied to other forms of diffraction, such as electron diffraction. However, they are most commonly used in X-ray crystallography due to the high penetrating power of X-rays and their ability to provide information about the atomic structure of materials.

5. How do the Laue equations help in solving crystal structures?

The Laue equations, along with other techniques and software, allow scientists to analyze the diffraction patterns produced by crystals and determine the positions of atoms within the crystal lattice. This information is crucial in understanding the properties and behavior of materials, and can help in the development of new technologies and materials.