How Do You Correctly Format Limits and Derivatives in LaTeX?

In summary, Peter is seeking help with a Latex expression involving a limit and a derivative. He has made an edit to his post on a forum and is looking for assistance from experienced Latex users. He has also received clarification on formatting from other users.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I have just posted an edit to my (very) recent post:

[h=1]http://mathhelpboards.com/analysis-50/apostol-continuity-amp-differentiabilty-14190.html[/h]in the Analysis Forum.

I am having trouble with the following Latex expression:\text{lim}_{x \rightarrow c} f^* (x) = \text{lim}_{x \rightarrow c} frac{f(x) - f(c)}{x-c} = f^'(c) = f^*(c) = f^*(c)
Can someone help me to get it right?

(I am assuming that experienced Latex users can see what I am trying to achieve ... )

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I have just posted an edit to my (very) recent post:

[h=1]http://mathhelpboards.com/analysis-50/apostol-continuity-amp-differentiabilty-14190.html[/h]in the Analysis Forum.

I am having trouble with the following Latex expression:\text{lim}_{x \rightarrow c} f^* (x) = \text{lim}_{x \rightarrow c} frac{f(x) - f(c)}{x-c} = f^'(c) = f^*(c) = f^*(c)
Can someone help me to get it right?

(I am assuming that experienced Latex users can see what I am trying to achieve ... )

Peter

\lim_{x \to c} f^*(x) = \lim_{x \to c} \frac{f(x) - f(c)}{x - c} = f'(c)

inside the LaTeX environment this gives

$\displaystyle \lim_{x \to c} f^*(x) = \lim_{x \to c} \frac{f(x) - f(c)}{x - c} = f'(c) $

Prove It said:
\lim_{x \to c} f^*(x) = \lim_{x \to c} \frac{f(x) - f(c)}{x - c} = f'(c)

inside the LaTeX environment this gives

$\displaystyle \lim_{x \to c} f^*(x) = \lim_{x \to c} \frac{f(x) - f(c)}{x - c} = f'(c) $
Thanks for the help, Prove It ... have now corrected my post in the Analysis Forum

By the way, i found that the Latex editor was still objecting to

f^' and seems to insist on f'

Not sure why f^' is an error?

Peter

Hello Peter,

While I cannot explain why, it does seem that f^' throws an error while f^{'} does not. You could also use f^\prime as well. :D

I assume you noticed by reading Prove It's post that for pre-defined functions (such as lim) all you need is to precede it with a backslash in order for it to render non-italicized.

MarkFL said:
Hello Peter,

While I cannot explain why, it does seem that f^' throws an error while f^{'} does not. You could also use f^\prime as well. :D

I assume you noticed by reading Prove It's post that for pre-defined functions (such as lim) all you need is to precede it with a backslash in order for it to render non-italicized.
Thanks Mark ... thanks for clarifying that ...

Yes, noted that lim was a pre-defined function ...

Thanks again,

Peter

1. What are limits of functions?

Limits of functions refer to the values that a function approaches as the input variable gets closer and closer to a certain value. It helps determine the behavior of a function near a specific point.

2. Why is it important to understand limits of functions?

Understanding limits of functions is crucial in calculus and other mathematical applications. It helps in the analysis and prediction of a function's behavior, and is necessary for solving problems involving derivatives and continuity.

3. How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can use various methods such as substitution, factoring, and rationalization. You can also use the concept of L'Hopital's rule or graphing the function to determine the limit.

4. What are the types of limits?

The two types of limits are one-sided limits and two-sided limits. One-sided limits refer to the values approached by a function as the input variable approaches from either the left or the right side of a specific point. Two-sided limits, on the other hand, consider the values approached by a function as the input variable approaches from both sides of a point.

5. Are there any real-world applications of understanding limits of functions?

Yes, understanding limits of functions has various real-world applications. For example, it is used in physics to determine the speed and acceleration of an object, in economics to analyze supply and demand, and in engineering to optimize designs and predict the behavior of structures.