Understanding Metric Connection and Geodesic Equations in General Relativity"

In summary, the conversation is about someone who is struggling to calculate the geodesic equation for R^{3} in cylindrical polars using the metric connection. The person is confused about the indices and how to use them, but it is explained that the dummy index runs from 1 to 3 and the others can be 1, 2, or 3 as well. It is also mentioned that a lot of the gamma's will be equal or vanish. Eventually, the person figures out how to calculate it and thanks the other person for their help.
Mr-R
Dear all,

In my journey through learning General relativity. I have stumbled upon this problem. I have to calculate the geodesic equation for R[itex]^{3}[/itex] in cylindrical polars. I am not sure how to use the metric connection. The indices confuse me. I would appreciate it if someone could shade some light on it. Every time I try to calculate it I get zero, sometimes due to the first metric tensor and sometime the terms in the parentheses are zeros.

[itex]\Gamma_{bc}^{a}=\frac{1}{2}g^{ad}(\partial_{b}g_{dc}+\partial_{c}g_{db}-\partial_{d}g_{bc})[/itex]

As I understand it, the index d is the dummy index and runs from 1 to 3 in this case, right? What about b and c? how do I use them?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr-R said:
As I understand it, the index d is the dummy index and runs from 1 to 3 in this case, right? What about b and c?

Yes and a, b and c can be 1, 2 or 3 giving 27 gamma's.

Mr-R said:
I am not sure how to use the metric connection. The indices confuse me.

You have to calculate all the gamma's, but a lot of them are equals or vanish.

Mr-R said:
Every time I try to calculate it I get zero, sometimes due to the first metric tensor and sometime the terms in the parentheses are zeros.

[itex]\Gamma_{bc}^{a}=\frac{1}{2}g^{ad}(\partial_{b}g_{dc}+\partial_{c}g_{db}-\partial_{d}g_{bc})[/itex]

What did you find for the metric in these coordinates?

Likes 1 person
I actually got it now :smile:

Thanks bloby

Ok, you're welcome.

for your help.

Dear fellow scientist,

I understand your confusion regarding the use of the metric connection and the geodesic equations in General Relativity. Let me try to provide some clarification and help you with your calculations.

Firstly, the indices in the metric connection represent the coordinates of the space-time manifold. In your case, the indices b and c represent the cylindrical polar coordinates (r, θ, z) while the index d represents the dummy index that runs from 1 to 3. This means that when you calculate the geodesic equation for R^{3} in cylindrical polars, you will have to use the metric connection with respect to these coordinates.

Secondly, the geodesic equation is used to calculate the path of a free-falling particle in curved space-time. In order to do so, we need to use the metric connection to calculate the Christoffel symbols, which are then used in the geodesic equation. The Christoffel symbols are essentially the components of the metric connection and they help us understand how the coordinates of a particle change as it moves along a geodesic.

In your case, the geodesic equation for R^{3} in cylindrical polars would be:

\frac{d^{2}x^{a}}{d\lambda^{2}}+\Gamma_{bc}^{a}\frac{dx^{b}}{d\lambda}\frac{dx^{c}}{d\lambda}=0

where x^{a} represents the coordinates of the particle and λ represents an affine parameter along the geodesic. The first term on the left-hand side represents the acceleration of the particle, while the second term involves the Christoffel symbols, as calculated using the metric connection.

I hope this helps in understanding how to use the metric connection and the geodesic equations in General Relativity. Keep exploring and learning, and don't hesitate to reach out for further clarification. All the best in your studies!

Sincerely,

Related to Understanding Metric Connection and Geodesic Equations in General Relativity"

1. What is a metric connection in general relativity?

A metric connection is a mathematical concept used to describe the relationship between space and time in general relativity. It is a way of measuring the curvature of spacetime and how matter and energy interact with it.

2. How is a metric connection related to geodesic equations?

The metric connection is used to calculate the geodesic equations, which describe the paths that objects follow through curved spacetime. These equations take into account the curvature of spacetime and the influence of matter and energy on the path of an object.

3. Can you explain the mathematical representation of a metric connection?

A metric connection is represented by a set of mathematical equations known as the Christoffel symbols, which describe the relationship between the metric tensor (which represents the curvature of spacetime) and the coordinates of an object in spacetime.

4. How does understanding metric connection and geodesic equations help us understand gravity?

In general relativity, gravity is not seen as a force between objects, but rather as a result of the curvature of spacetime caused by massive objects. Understanding metric connection and geodesic equations allows us to accurately calculate the effects of gravity on objects and how they move through spacetime.

5. Is the concept of metric connection and geodesic equations unique to general relativity?

No, similar concepts can also be found in other branches of physics, such as in electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. However, the specific equations and principles used in general relativity are unique to this theory of gravity.