Understanding Negative Feedback Systems: Equations, Dynamics, and Activation

In summary, the conversation discusses the expression of dynamic equations using the notation $$\frac{dx}{dt} = \beta - \gamma(x) \cdot x$$, where t represents time. It also mentions that the value of γ depends on the value of x, and presents two different cases for setting the equation to 0. The first case is when x is less than a certain value K, and the second case is when x is greater than or equal to K. In the first case, the value of xST is equal to γlow/β, while in the second case it is equal to γhigh/β. The conversation also mentions that the feedback is dependent on the value of β, and discusses how to solve
cascadeless
Homework Statement
A protein X is produced at a constant rate β. Its degradation rate γ is controlled by its own concentration x, meaning that: if x < K then γ(x) = γ[SUB]low[/SUB], otherwise γ = γ[SUB]high[/SUB].
K is the repression threshold.

We have to follow an example given in class, which is very similar, that I attached.
Then answer the following questions:

1. Find the steady-state for different parameters.

2. For the case where feedback is activated in the steady-state, describe the dynamics of the system. Calculate the speedup of the dynamics here compared to the open loop case with the same steady-state?

3. Using the interval method, calculate the dynamics for a delay in the feedback in the extreme case where γ[SUB]low[/SUB] = 0. What is the pulse height as a function of the delay time?

4. Can you suggest a simple synthetic system where degradation based feedback can be studied?
Relevant Equations
See the attached file.
We express such equations by $$\frac{dx}{dt} = \beta - \gamma \cdot x$$, t denotes the time.
In this case, γ depends on x, thus the dynamic equation should probably be:
$$\frac{dx}{dt} = \beta - \gamma(x) \cdot x$$

1. Setting the equation to 0 leads to two different cases:
If x < K: xST = γlow / β
If x ≥ K: xST = γhigh / β

I can also say (like in the example), that it is dependent on β, so:
If β > γlow / k: xST = γlow / β
If β ≤ γhigh / k: xST = γhigh / β

I don't understand why in the example in this step the divided by K drops and why the ≤ becomes a <.

2. Now my biggest concern is, how do I see, in which case the feedback is activated and in which not?
Then I would take this case and try to solve the equation with initial condition x(t=0)=0.
Probably the outcome is very similar to the example.
How would I proceed?

Any help is very appreciated!

Attachments

• neg_feedback.pdf
    58.5 KB · Views: 226
Physics news on Phys.org
No one any suggestions or ideas/thoughts? :)

1. What is a negative feedback system?

A negative feedback system is a regulatory mechanism in which the output of a system is used to reduce the input, leading to a stabilization of the system. It is a self-regulating process that helps maintain a balance or homeostasis within a system.

2. How do negative feedback systems work?

Negative feedback systems work by using a sensor to detect changes in the output of a system. The sensor then sends a signal to a controller, which compares the output to a set point and determines if any adjustments need to be made. If the output is outside of the set point, the controller sends a signal to an effector, which then acts to reduce the output and bring it back to the set point.

3. What are the key equations involved in understanding negative feedback systems?

The key equations involved in understanding negative feedback systems include the feedback equation, which describes the relationship between the output and input of a system, and the set point equation, which defines the desired output of the system. Other important equations include the error equation, which calculates the difference between the output and set point, and the controller equation, which determines the appropriate response to the error.

4. How do dynamics play a role in negative feedback systems?

Dynamics refer to the time-dependent behavior of a system. In negative feedback systems, dynamics play a crucial role in determining the speed and stability of the system's response to changes in the output. Understanding the dynamics of a system is essential in designing effective control strategies for maintaining homeostasis.

5. What is activation in the context of negative feedback systems?

Activation refers to the process by which a system responds to changes in the output. In negative feedback systems, activation occurs when the controller sends a signal to the effector to reduce the output and bring it back to the set point. Activation is a crucial step in the self-regulating process of negative feedback systems.