Understanding Relativistic Momentum in Special Relativity

In summary: I was thinking of it as the mass I was seeing as it was movingIn summary, last week in physics we learned about special relativity and the equation for relativistic momentum, p=λmv. We also discussed the equations for regular momentum, p=mv, and regular force, F=ma. We noticed that momentum is the integral of force where v is the integral of a and mass is constant. However, in the formula for relativistic momentum, m is the invariant mass and is constant. There are two different conventions for considering mass, one where it is changing and one where it is constant, and this affects the relationship between force and acceleration. With a constant force, it would take an infinite amount of time to accelerate a
DRC12
Last week in physics we were learning about special relativity and we got the equation p=λmv. When writing the equation the teacher also put the equations for regular momentum p=mv and regular force F=ma. I noticed that momentum is the integral of force where v is the integral of a and mass is constant. The problem is if momentum is the integral of force then how is the relativistic momentum derived is mass isn't constant anymore

Physics news on Phys.org
In the formula for relativistic momentum, p=λmv, m is the invariant mass and is constant.

[Edit: That should be γ not λ.]

Last edited:
but if m is constant an object could theoretically go faster then the speed of light all you need is to supply a constant force on it and it would accelerate forever the changing m making it harder to accelerate the object once it starts going too fast. As m increases the force does less in less until it can't accelerate no matter the force on it as in the mass eventually reaches infinity

DRC12 said:
but if m is constant an object could theoretically go faster then the speed of light all you need is to supply a constant force on it and it would accelerate forever the changing m making it harder to accelerate the object once it starts going too fast. As m increases the force does less in less until it can't accelerate no matter the force on it as in the mass eventually reaches infinity
Note that I said that m is constant. But λm (sometimes called the 'relativistic mass') is not constant.

[Edit: That should be γ not λ.]

Last edited:
DRC12 said:

There are two different conventions.

An older convention is to consider mass as changing. Then F=ma and p=mv, and a constant force produces less and less acceleration as you approach the speed of light, because m is increasing.

The more common convention these days is to consider mass as constant. Then [itex]F=m\gamma a[/itex], F=dp/dt, and [itex]p=m\gamma v[/itex]. Now a constant force produces a decreasing acceleration because of the factor of gamma. (If your teacher is using lambda instead of gamma, that would be an unusual notation.)

You can't mix the two systems.

DRC12 said:

You can show that a constant force would take an infinite amount of time to accelerate a massive object to the speed of light. In fact,

[tex]\int_0^T F dt = \int_0^c \frac{m dv}{(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})^{3/2}} = mc \lim_{v\rightarrow c} \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}},[/tex]

which diverges. The LHS gives [tex]FT[/tex] so [tex]T[/tex] must be infinite.

bcrowell said:
(If your teacher is using lambda instead of gamma, that would be an unusual notation.)
He did use gamma i just mixed them up

DRC12 said:
He did use gamma i just mixed them up
And I didn't even notice--in my mind I was thinking gamma (γ) not lambda (λ). :redface:

Sorry about that!

Doc Al said:
And I didn't even notice--in my mind I was thinking gamma (γ) not lambda (λ). :redface:

Sorry about that!

No problem I'd been looking at light waves earlier today and had been using lambda as frequency and used it without thinking

Thanks to everyone I understand it now I didn't think about how gamma wasn't a constant or how gamma was expressing the change in the rest mass and I wasn't thinking of it as rest mass

Related to Understanding Relativistic Momentum in Special Relativity

1. What is relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is a concept in physics that describes the momentum of an object moving at relativistic speeds, or speeds close to the speed of light. It takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, on an object's mass and velocity.

2. How is relativistic momentum different from classical momentum?

Classical momentum is based on the Newtonian laws of motion and only applies to objects moving at non-relativistic speeds. Relativistic momentum takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as the increase in an object's mass as it approaches the speed of light.

3. What is the equation for relativistic momentum?

The equation for relativistic momentum is p = mv/√(1-v^2/c^2), where p is momentum, m is mass, v is velocity, and c is the speed of light. This equation shows that as an object's velocity approaches the speed of light, its momentum increases significantly due to the denominator approaching zero.

4. How does relativistic momentum affect the behavior of particles at high speeds?

At high speeds, particles exhibit behaviors such as time dilation, length contraction, and an increase in mass. These effects are all taken into account in the concept of relativistic momentum, which helps explain the behavior of particles moving close to the speed of light.

5. Can relativistic momentum be applied to all objects?

Relativistic momentum can be applied to any object moving at relativistic speeds, which is typically defined as speeds greater than 10% of the speed of light. However, at slower speeds, classical momentum is a more accurate representation of an object's momentum.