Understanding State Machines: Converting Logic Problems into K Maps

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a state transition table in a sequential logic machine. The table shows the state changes when a new input is received, and the Z column represents the output. The process of creating the table involves looking at the number of ones in the input and using it to determine the next state. This is a general concept in state machines and is important to understand.
orangeincup
So I was reading my book and I came across a table, I don't understand how they converted the problem into a table.
They're designing a sequential logic machine and it looks like they made a K map of something, but I don't know what they used. Can anyone explain how the book did this conversion? It doesn't explain anything about it. I understand K maps and truth tables and stuff, but I don't know what they used to create this k-map(if it even is one, I just noticed it said 00, 01, 11, 10 which usually means K map)

Attachments

• dflip.png
    dflip.png
    132.7 KB · Views: 439
Physics news on Phys.org
Please remember to always use the formatting template for posts in the homework areas.

This is not a K-map. It's a state transition table. The state changes each time a new input (XY) is clocked into the "machine".

At any given time the machine sits in some state S, and when an input XY is clocked in it changes state according to the associated entry in the table. So for example if the machine was currently in state S2 and XY = 01 was clocked in, the machine would transition to state S3. The Z column represents the output that the machine presents to the world in a given state.

I was going to use the formatting but I don't think there's any equations involved with this(at least that I've used in digital logic), and the question itself is a picture

I understand what a state transition table is and how it works, what I don't know is how they created the table from just the information above

I understand Z is only 1 when the value is a multiple of 4, but how did they know to the actual values inside the table with just the information given?
S0 S1 S2 S3
S1 S2 S3 S2
S2 ...
S3 ...

If XY contains no ones, stay in the same state. If XY contains one one, increase the state by one step number. If XY contains two ones, increase the state by two step numbers. The state reflects the current count of ones.

Oh that makes more sense. Is that something I'm suppose to know for all state machines or is it something specific to this question?

orangeincup said:
Oh that makes more sense. Is that something I'm suppose to know for all state machines or is it something specific to this question?
Its the way state machines work in general, so it's important to know.

In a state machine the state itself reflects some "knowledge" of what has transpired in the past, and the machine transitions to new states by some set of rules associated with the current state and some input stimulus. There may be various ways to depict the state table, but they all boil down to a list of "where to go from here" when "something" occurs. The form presented in the problem is pretty economical in that regard.

1. What is a Karnaugh map or K map?

A Karnaugh map, also known as a K map, is a graphical method used to simplify boolean algebra expressions. It is used to minimize the number of logic gates required to implement a digital logic circuit.

2. How do I read a K map?

A K map is divided into squares, with each square representing a possible combination of inputs. The squares are arranged in a way that reflects the logical relationship between the inputs. To read a K map, you look for adjacent squares that contain the same value (either 0 or 1) and group them together to form a simplified boolean expression.

3. When should I use a K map?

A K map is most commonly used when you have 3 or 4 input variables in a boolean algebra expression. It can also be used for expressions with more variables, but it becomes more complex and time-consuming.

4. How do I create a K map for a given boolean expression?

To create a K map, you first need to determine the number of input variables in your expression. Then, you arrange the squares in the K map in a way that reflects the logical relationship between the inputs. Next, you fill in the squares with the corresponding output values for each input combination. Finally, you group adjacent squares with the same output value to simplify the expression.

5. What are the benefits of using a K map?

Using a K map allows for a more visual and systematic approach to simplifying boolean algebra expressions. It also helps to reduce the number of logic gates required, which results in a more efficient and cost-effective digital logic circuit. Additionally, K maps are easy to understand and can be used as a teaching tool for students learning about digital logic.