Understanding Symplectic Notation and its Equivalence to Traditional Methods

In summary, the conversation discusses the equivalence of equations 9.48 and 9.55, which are derived using different notations. The book suggests that the symplectic condition is just a different way of writing equation 9.48. The conversation also mentions the use of the Jacobian matrix and the tedious partial derivatives involved in proving equivalence between the equations. The symplectic notation simplifies the process by incorporating the Jacobian matrix from the beginning.
aaaa202
I have some trouble understanding the attached section of my book. Basically I can't see why the marked equations are equivalent - that is the first two are contained in the last one. I can follow the derivation but when I do an example for myself where I just have two variables (q,p) being transformed to (Q,P). I get the condition from the symplectic condition that some determinant (actually the Jacobian defined in my last thread) equal 1 which does not seem equivalent to the equations 9.48. If the reader does not remember the matrix J I have attached that too on my own example. I am right in assuming that eqs. 9.48 should follow from the symplectic condition right? It certainly seems from the book that this condition is just a nicer way of writing eqs. 9.48 (although they look pretty nice to me already? - is there a sum or something?) so I would think so.

Attachments

• more symplectic notation.jpg
    more symplectic notation.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 409
  • symplectic.png
    symplectic.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 402
Physics news on Phys.org
9.48 and 9.55 are equivalent because they are derived in exactly the same way, just in slightly different notation. As to why the form is different from your worked example, this is because you did not really convert between (q, p) and (Q, P) when you transposed the Jacobian matrix, so you did not have derivatives with regard to different sets of variables as in 9.48.

But I transposed correctly right? If I am to make the expressions equivalent should I just switch variables in one of the matrices M and M(transpose)?

You can prove that equivalence. But that will involve the kind of tedious partial derivatives gymnastics you disliked in a recent thread :)

didn't dislike it, just wasn't very good at it - practise is good.

Well, here is your chance to practice that!

I'm just rather confused of the sentence: "The algebraic manipulations that lead to eqs. 9.48 can be written in an elegant manner with use of the symplectic notation."
It seems that the books says that the symplectic condition is another way of writing eqs. 9.48.
Maybe I don't understand why it is exactly the same approach that is used for the two derivations. In the first you only look at the dQ/dt and dH/dP. In the other you look at the derivatives of the q's.

Last edited:
And that is true. Both methods ultimately deal with the partial derivatives of q, p, Q. P with respect to one another. But the symplectic notation invokes the Jacobian matrix from the beginning, thus avoiding having to deal with all that massaging one derivative into another to get the required condition.

Related to Understanding Symplectic Notation and its Equivalence to Traditional Methods

1. What is symplectic notation?

Symplectic notation is a mathematical notation used in the field of symplectic geometry to represent geometric structures and operations. It is based on the concept of symplectic forms, which are mathematical objects that describe the geometry of a symplectic space.

2. What is the purpose of symplectic notation?

The purpose of symplectic notation is to provide a concise and efficient way to express and manipulate symplectic structures. It allows for a more intuitive and elegant representation of symplectic geometry, making it easier to study and understand complex systems.

3. How is symplectic notation used in physics?

Symplectic notation is commonly used in physics, specifically in the field of classical mechanics, to describe the dynamics of physical systems. It is also used in quantum mechanics to describe the evolution of quantum states. In both cases, symplectic notation provides a powerful tool for analyzing and solving complex physical problems.

4. Are there any limitations to symplectic notation?

Like any mathematical notation, symplectic notation has its limitations. It is most useful for studying and analyzing linear and Hamiltonian systems, and may not be as effective for nonlinear systems. Additionally, symplectic notation can be difficult to master and may require a strong understanding of mathematics and physics.

5. How can I learn more about symplectic notation?

There are many resources available for learning about symplectic notation, including textbooks, online courses, and research papers. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly linear algebra and differential equations, before delving into symplectic notation. Additionally, working with a mentor or joining a study group can also be helpful in understanding and applying symplectic notation.