Understanding the Degree of a Continuous Map g:Circle --> Circle

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in understanding the degree of a continuous map from a circle to a circle. Lawson defines the degree of such a map as the difference between two values of a lift of the map, which can be thought of as the number of times the image of the circle wraps around the circle under the map. However, this definition may not work for all continuous functions, such as the example provided.
jimisrv
Hi,

I am having some problems understanding the degree of a continuous map g:circle --> circle

I have found a definition in Munkres (pg 367) that I can't really understand (I'm an engineering student with little algebraic topology) and one in Lawson (pg 181), Topology:A Geometric approach, that makes some sense.

Lawson defines it:

For g as above, consider p : I --> circle and a lift h:I --> R
such that gp=ph

Then define the degree of g as

deg g =h(1)-h(2)

Intuitively I understand this to be the integer number of times the image of the circle wraps around the circle under g? If so, what about the continuous function g(x)=exp(i*pi*x/2) where x is in[0,2pi). The image would only wrap around half the circle, which would be homotopic to the constant map, a map of degree 0...but according to the above definition this would have degree 1/2?

Thanks for any help!

Regards,
Mike

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your example doesn't work because [0, 2pi) is not a circle. If you try to make a circle out of it by identifying 0 and 2pi, then your map would be discontinuous, since g(0) = 1 and g(2pi) = -1.

(Sorry that this isn't a very formal argument, but I think it gets the point across.)

What is the degree of a continuous map?

The degree of a continuous map refers to a numerical value that describes the winding or twisting behavior of the map. It is calculated by counting the number of times the image of a point on the domain circle wraps around the range circle.

How is the degree of a continuous map determined?

The degree of a continuous map can be determined by using the winding number formula, which takes into account the number of times the map wraps around the range circle in a counterclockwise direction.

What does the degree of a continuous map tell us about the map?

The degree of a continuous map provides information about the number of times the map wraps around the range circle, which can give insights into the topological properties of the map and its behavior.

Can a continuous map have a negative degree?

Yes, a continuous map can have a negative degree if it wraps around the range circle in a clockwise direction. This can happen when the map has a “twist” or “turn” that causes it to wrap around in the opposite direction.

How is the degree of a continuous map used in real-world applications?

The degree of a continuous map is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics, to describe and analyze the behavior of objects in motion or the flow of fluids. It can also be used in navigation and mapping systems to determine the rotation or orientation of an object or path.