Understanding The Electric Flux of A Cube Rotated by an Angle Theta

In summary, the person is struggling to understand a problem involving finding the electric flux through each face of a cube when it is turned by an angle theta. They have included a photo of the problem and the solution, but are having trouble understanding why the flux for one side is equal to E(L^2)cos(90* + THETA) = - E(L^2)sinTHETA. They are looking for a new perspective or explanation to understand the logic behind this. They also mention that the flux of a uniform electric field is calculated using the formula FLUX = E (A*n) cosTHETA, where E is the magnitude of the electric field, A is the area of the cube, n is the normal vector
mrrocketknigh
Hey, all, so I have been studying this problem all morning, and I do not understand two aspects to this example problem. I included a photo of the diagram used in this problem. You will see two cubes, but the diagram which corresponds to the problem below is the one on the right.PROBLEM: Find the electric flux through each face of the cube and the total flux of the cube when the cube is turned by an angle theta.https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/65421

Below both diagrams in the photo is the answer given; they are the respective fluxes of each side of the cube. What I don't understand is how for n3 the flux is equal to E(L^2)cos(90* + THETA) = - E(L^2)sinTHETA .

I tried finding why the cosine is also equal to the negative sine in this problem, but to no avail. If someone can help me gain a new or more efficient perspective so that I can see the logic of the problem, I would greatly appreciate it. The flux of a uniform electric field, is:
FLUX = E (A*n) cosTHETA. where E is the magnitude of the strength of the electric field, A is the area of the cube, n is the direction of the normal vector to side of the cube, and THETA is the angle the cube was turned ( this I am not completely sure on, if I am wrong then please correct me).

Cheers,

MrRocketKnight

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Understanding The Electric Flux of A Cube Rotated by an Angle Theta

What is Electric Flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the flow of an electric field through a given surface. It is defined as the product of the electric field strength and the surface area perpendicular to the field.

How is Electric Flux Calculated?

The electric flux through a surface can be calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the surface area vector. The formula is Φ = E * A * cos(θ), where E is the electric field, A is the surface area, and θ is the angle between the two vectors.

What is the Relationship between Electric Flux and Angle Theta?

The angle theta represents the orientation of the surface with respect to the electric field. When the surface is perpendicular to the field, the angle is 0 degrees and the electric flux will be at its maximum. As the angle increases, the electric flux decreases since the surface is now at an angle to the field and less field lines pass through it.

How Does Rotating a Cube Affect the Electric Flux?

Rotating a cube changes the orientation of its surface with respect to the electric field, which in turn affects the electric flux. As the angle theta changes, the electric flux will also change according to the formula Φ = E * A * cos(θ).

What Are Some Real-World Applications of Understanding the Electric Flux of a Rotated Cube?

Understanding the electric flux of a rotated cube is important in various fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and astronomy. It can be used to analyze the behavior of electric fields in different orientations and to design efficient electrical systems. For example, solar panels are designed to maximize the amount of electric flux they receive from the sun by adjusting their angle to the sun's rays.