Understanding the Joule: Defining and Applying Energy in Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of the joule and how it relates to the amount of energy given to an object. The question is raised whether applying a force of 1N to an object of mass 1000kg would result in more energy compared to applying the same force to an object of 1kg. The response explains that according to the formula W = mv2/2, the two objects would have the same energy despite having different masses, as the heavier object would be moving at a slower speed.
mudkip9001
This is really basic, but I can't seem to find that one piece of reasoning that I must be missing...

I don't understand the definition of the joule; 'the energy given to a body if a force of 1N is applied for the distance of one meter'

If I apply 1N to an object of mass 1000kg until it has moved one meter, will I not have given it more energy than if I do the same to an object of 1 kg?

edit: oops, didn't mean to post it in learing materials... sorry.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mudkip9001! :smile:
mudkip9001 said:
I don't understand the definition of the joule; 'the energy given to a body if a force of 1N is applied for the distance of one meter'

If I apply 1N to an object of mass 1000kg until it has moved one meter, will I not have given it more energy than if I do the same to an object of 1 kg?

ah … interesting question …

v2 = 2as, and so W = Fs = mas = mv2/2 …

they have the same energy because the heavier mass is moving much slower :wink:

No need to apologize for posting in the learning materials section, it's a great place to ask questions and learn more about a topic!

To answer your question, the definition of the joule may seem confusing at first, but it is important to understand that energy is a quantity that is dependent on both force and distance. In your example, yes, you would have given more energy to the 1000kg object compared to the 1kg object, as the force is the same but the distance moved is different. This is because energy is also dependent on the mass of the object.

To understand this concept better, think of it in terms of work. Work is defined as the force applied multiplied by the distance moved in the direction of the force. So, in your example, the work done on the 1000kg object would be greater than the work done on the 1kg object, as the distance moved is greater.

In summary, the definition of the joule is based on the work done on an object by applying a force over a certain distance. The mass of the object also plays a role in determining the amount of energy given to it. I hope this helps clarify the concept for you!

1. What is the definition of a joule?

A joule is a unit of measurement for energy, work, and heat in the International System of Units (SI). It is defined as the amount of work done by a force of one newton acting through a distance of one meter.

2. How is a joule related to other units of measurement?

A joule is equivalent to one kilogram meter squared per second squared (kg*m^2/s^2) in the SI system. It is also equivalent to one watt-second, one newton-meter, and one calorie (a non-SI unit of energy).

3. How does understanding joules help us in physics?

Understanding joules allows us to quantify and measure the transfer of energy in various forms, such as mechanical, thermal, and electrical energy. It helps us to solve problems related to work, power, and the conservation of energy in different systems.

4. What are some real-life examples of joules?

Some examples of joules in everyday life include the energy required to lift an object, the heat produced by burning a candle, and the electricity used to power appliances. It is also used to measure the energy output of engines and motors.

5. How can joules be applied in different fields of science?

Joules are used in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. In physics, joules are used to measure work and energy. In chemistry, joules are used to measure the energy released or absorbed in chemical reactions. In engineering, joules are used to quantify the energy efficiency of machines and processes.