Understanding the Lens Equation: Fish & Pattern Location

• Thread starter meadow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lens
In summary, the conversation discusses a lens question involving a small fish placed in the center of a glass sphere with a radius of 5 cm and an index of refraction of 1.5. The question also involves finding the location of an observer seeing the fish and a decorative pattern painted on the back side of the sphere. The formula i=n-n1/R is used to find the image distance of the fish, but there is uncertainty about the correct approach. The conversation suggests using Snell's Law or the equation n_g/d_ob - n_a/d_im = (n_g - n_a)/R to solve the problem. There is also a discussion about the distance of the observer and the deflection of rays at the edge and front
meadow
i just need a little help with a relatively easy lens question

A small fish is cast into the center of a glass sphere of radius R=5 cm and n=1.5. Where will an observer see the fish? Where will the observer see a decorative pattern painted on the back side of a sphere?

So, I thought I could use the formula to find the image distance i=n-n1/R; and i subtracted 1.0 (n of air) from 1.5, then divided by the radius to find the distance of the image of the fish. For the background pattern, I used 10 cm as the value of "R", because it is the length of the diameter away from the observer.
Am I right in my thinking? I feel like I am just plugging and chugging, rather than really understanding the concept...(so i am not sure it i am even evaluating correctly)
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't the image distance (measured from what?)
depend on the location of the object?

You COULD do this with Snell's Law, if you have too much time ...

I thought because the fish was placed in the center of the sphere, the distance of the object would be the distance of the radius. I don't, however, know the distance of the observer. Is there a way to explain where the observer would see the fish and the pattern without that distance? How should I approach this problem?

( i = n-n/R is obviously incorrect : a distance [meter] is not equal 1/R [1/m] )

If you don't like Snell ...
[tex]\frac{n_g}{d_{ob}} - \frac{n_a}{d_{im}} = \frac{n_g - n_a}{R} [/tex]
should've been derived in your textbook ("single-surface refraction"):
distances are measured from the front of the glass, closest to person.

draw 2 rays from the fish ... are they deflected at the edge of the glass?

draw 2 rays from the back ... are they deflected at the front of the glass?

Last edited:

1. What is the lens equation?

The lens equation is a formula that relates the distance and magnification of an object through a lens to the focal length and image distance of the lens. It is used in optics to understand how lenses produce images.

2. How does the lens equation apply to fish and pattern location?

In the context of fish and pattern location, the lens equation can be used to determine the position of a fish or pattern relative to a lens. By knowing the focal length of the lens and the distance between the lens and the object, the lens equation can be used to calculate the position of the image produced by the lens.

3. What factors affect the lens equation?

The main factors that affect the lens equation are the focal length of the lens, the distance between the lens and the object, and the distance between the lens and the image. Additionally, the refractive index of the lens and the medium through which light travels can also impact the lens equation.

4. How is the lens equation derived?

The lens equation is derived from the principles of geometric optics, specifically the laws of reflection and refraction. It takes into account the properties of lenses, such as their focal length and thickness, as well as the distance between the object and the lens and the distance between the lens and the image.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding the lens equation?

Understanding the lens equation has many practical applications, from designing and improving lenses for photography and other optical devices, to predicting and analyzing images produced by lenses. It is also essential in fields such as astronomy, where lenses are used to magnify and study celestial objects.