Understanding the Partial Derivative Chain Rule for z=z(u) and u=x+at

It is not a result of Clairaut's theorem.Now, in fact, all of this is an abuse of notation. I didn't want to explain this before because it would have confused you, but since you are now asking I will tell you. The correct chain rule is $$\frac \partial {\partial t}z'(u(t)) = z''(u(t))u'(t)$$The ##u## is not an argument of the derivative, it is the variable of differentiation. It is like saying ##f'(3)##. In the chain rule you are differentiating ##f(u(t))## where ##u(t)## is a function of ##t##. The chain rule is then ##(f
iScience
could someone show me how [itex]\frac{∂}{∂t}[/itex]([itex]\frac{∂z}{∂u}[/itex])= [itex]\frac{∂^2z}{∂u^2}[/itex] [itex]\frac{∂u}{∂t}[/itex]

where z=z(u)

u=x+at

Physics news on Phys.org
iScience said:
could someone show me how [itex]\frac{∂}{∂t}[/itex]([itex]\frac{∂z}{∂u}[/itex])= [itex]\frac{∂^2z}{∂u^2}[/itex] [itex]\frac{∂u}{∂t}[/itex]

where z=z(u)

u=x+at

##z## is only a function of ##u## so you might as well use ##z'(u)## instead of partials. I will denote ##\frac{\partial z}{\partial u}## as ##z'(u)##. Your equation then becomes$$
\frac \partial {\partial t}z'(u) = \frac {d}{du}z'(u)\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}
=z''(u)\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}$$Isn't that exactly the chain rule on ##z'(u)##?

[Edit] Corrected some TeX partials vs d/dt symbols.

Last edited:
i apologize, but can you please show me what you did step by step? i know how to apply the chain rule for functions when the function itself is actually given, ie the derivative of the function times the derivation of the inside. but i don't understand what we're doing now.

where did you get the d/du in the front from? and the ∂u/∂t that's behind z', that's just from the derivative of the inside right?

iScience said:
i apologize, but can you please show me what you did step by step? i know how to apply the chain rule for functions when the function itself is actually given, ie the derivative of the function times the derivation of the inside. but i don't understand what we're doing now.

where did you get the d/du in the front from? and the ∂u/∂t that's behind z', that's just from the derivative of the inside right?

If ##f## is a function of ##u## and ##u## is a function of ##x## and ##y## then ##f## is ultimately a function of ##x## and ##y##. It makes sense to ask for the partials of ##f## with respect to ##x## and ##y##. The corresponding chain rules are (I will use subscripts for partials to save typing): $$
f_x = f'(u)u_x,~f_y = f'(u)u_y$$Note the use of the ' on ##f## since ##f## itself is a function of just one variable and the partial symbols on ##u## since it is a function of more than one variable. These formulas are almost certainly in your text.

Your problem is solved by applying one of these chain rules to ##z'(u)## with second variables ##x## and ##t## instead of ##x## and ##y##.

i understand z'(t)=[itex]\frac{∂z}{∂u}[/itex][itex]\frac{∂u}{∂t}[/itex] and z'(x)=[itex]\frac{∂z}{∂u}[/itex][itex]\frac{∂u}{∂x}[/itex]

i just don't understand the leap from that to this: [itex]\frac{∂}{∂t}[/itex][itex]\frac{∂z}{∂u}[/itex]

Your problem is solved by applying one of these chain rules to z′(u) with second variables x and t instead of x and y.

but 'u' is the intermediate variable. i don't know what to do with [itex]\frac{∂z}{∂u}[/itex]. if it involved finding the partial of z with respect to x and t, i could just apply the chain rule like you say, but it's asking me to find the partial of z with respect to u, the intermediate variable. what can i do with that? i can't use x and y.

Last edited:
iScience said:
i understand z'(t)=[itex]\frac{∂z}{∂u}[/itex][itex]\frac{∂u}{∂t}[/itex] and z'(x)=[itex]\frac{∂z}{∂u}[/itex][itex]\frac{∂u}{∂x}[/itex]

i just don't understand the leap from that to this: [itex]\frac{∂}{∂t}[/itex][itex]\frac{∂z}{∂u}[/itex]

but 'u' is the intermediate variable. i don't know what to do with [itex]\frac{∂z}{∂u}[/itex]. if it involved finding the partial of z with respect to x and t, i could just apply the chain rule like you say, but it's asking me to find the partial of z with respect to u, the intermediate variable. what can i do with that? i can't use x and y.

It becomes exactly what I showed you in post #2.

okay can you tell me if i did this correctly

[itex]\frac{∂}{∂t}[/itex]([itex]\frac{∂z}{∂u}[/itex])=[itex]\frac{∂}{∂u}[/itex]([itex]\frac{∂z}{∂t}[/itex])=[itex]\frac{∂}{∂u}[/itex]([itex]\frac{∂z}{∂u}[/itex][itex]\frac{∂u}{∂t}[/itex])

i basically just swapped the positions of the u and t in the beginning is this right?

if i swap the u and the t, aren't i applying clairaut's theorem? and if i am, then don't i need to prove that zut is continuous and ztu is continuous since that's the condition for which clairaut's theorem applies?

iScience said:
okay can you tell me if i did this correctly

[itex]\frac{∂}{∂t}[/itex]([itex]\frac{∂z}{∂u}[/itex])=[itex]\frac{∂}{∂u}[/itex]([itex]\frac{∂z}{∂t}[/itex])=[itex]\frac{∂}{∂u}[/itex]([itex]\frac{∂z}{∂u}[/itex][itex]\frac{∂u}{∂t}[/itex])

i basically just swapped the positions of the u and t in the beginning is this right?

if i swap the u and the t, aren't i applying clairaut's theorem? and if i am, then don't i need to prove that zut is continuous and ztu is continuous since that's the condition for which clairaut's theorem applies?

That is not the setting for Clairaut's theorem. I don't know why you are doing this. The answer to your question in your post #1 is that it is the chain rule I explained in post #4. That is where the formula comes from, and the proof of the chain rule is probably in your text.

Related to Understanding the Partial Derivative Chain Rule for z=z(u) and u=x+at

1. What is the concept behind the partial derivative chain rule?

The partial derivative chain rule is a mathematical tool used to calculate the derivatives of multivariable functions. It helps us find the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant.

2. How is the partial derivative chain rule different from the regular chain rule?

The partial derivative chain rule is used for functions with multiple variables, while the regular chain rule is used for functions with a single variable. The partial derivative rule involves taking derivatives with respect to one variable at a time, while the regular chain rule involves taking the derivative of a composite function.

3. Can you give an example of applying the partial derivative chain rule?

Sure, let's say we have a function f(x,y) = x^2 + 3y - 5. To find the partial derivative of this function with respect to x, we would use the partial derivative chain rule and treat y as a constant. This would give us the result f'(x,y) = 2x.

4. What are some common mistakes when using the partial derivative chain rule?

One common mistake is forgetting to treat the other variables as constants when taking the derivative with respect to a specific variable. It's also important to carefully apply the chain rule when dealing with nested functions. Another mistake is mixing up the order of the variables when taking partial derivatives.

5. How can the partial derivative chain rule be used in real-world applications?

The partial derivative chain rule is commonly used in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to find rates of change in multivariable systems. For example, it can be used to calculate the marginal cost in economics or the acceleration of an object in physics.