Understanding the Wavevector: Exploring Its Role in Optics and K-Space

• Thread starter iLIKEstuff
  • Start date
In summary: Since the wave propagates in the same direction, we have k=\vec{k}. So the magnitude of the wave vector is the wave number.In summary, the wavevector is a vector quantity that represents the direction of propagation of a wave and has a magnitude equal to the wave number. It can be broken down into components using trigonometry and is related to the momentum of the wave. In the context of optics, it is used to understand k-space and E(k) vs k diagrams for different materials.
iLIKEstuff
What is wavevector?

So I've been studying optics on my own for about 2 months now and I am having a lot of trouble understanding what exactly is the wavevector

[tex]\overrightarrow{k} = (k_x , k_y , k_z)[/tex]

where wavenumber k is

[tex] k = | \overrightarrow{k} | = \sqrt{{k_x}^2 + {k_y}^2 + {k_z}^2}[/tex]

i was told when i first started that the meaning of wave vector would just come to me as i digged deeper into optics, but now I'm looking at E(k) vs k diagrams for semiconductors and this talk about k-space is confusing the heck out of me.

so i know [tex] k= \frac{2 \pi}{ \lambda} [/tex]

and that the wave number k is the coefficient in the helmholtz equation

[tex] {\nabla}^{2} U + {k}^{2} U = 0 [/tex] where U is the complex amplitude and a function of x,y,z,t

but how does this relate to the wave vector? i know it doesn't expand like
[tex] \frac{{\partial}^{2}}{{\partial x}^{2}} \left ( U (x,t) \right ) + {k_x}^{2} U(x,t) =0 [/tex]
[tex] \frac{{\partial}^{2}}{{\partial y}^{2}} \left ( U (y,t) \right ) + {k_y}^{2} U(y,t) =0 [/tex]
[tex] \frac{{\partial}^{2}}{{\partial z}^{2}} \left ( U (z,t) \right ) + {k_z}^{2} U(z,t) =0 [/tex]

because k is the wave number. I'm lost.

perhaps i am approaching this concept in the wrong way. i would gladly appreciate any pointers on how to understand this menacing construct

i'm looking for a way to understand the wave vector in the context of understanding k-space and E(k) vs k diagrams to then understand optical absorption by transitions across band gaps for different materials. but also i simply just don't understand why they break up the wavevector into components whose magnitude is the wave number which is clearly (and understandably) defined as inversely proportional to the wavelength

thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org

k is just a convenient mathematical way of expression both the direction of a wave and it's wavelength. (lambda = 2 pi / |k|, as you know)

iLIKEstuff said:
i simply just don't understand why they break up the wavevector into components

If it is a vector then it has components, U looks like a 4D vector to me, and if you want the second gradiant of a vector your going to need to break the equation into it's components so that you can take the second partial derivative of each component and then "put it back together".

iLIKEstuff said:
i was told when i first started that the meaning of wave vector would just come to me as i digged deeper into optics, but now I'm looking at E(k) vs k diagrams for semiconductors and this talk about k-space is confusing the heck out of me.

Maybe one should add, that in dispersion relations the k is proportional to the momentum carried by some particle or quasiparticle (crystal electron, phonon, exciton or others) and therefore E(k) diagrams are more or less plotting energy versus carried momentum.

Are you studying optics or solid state physics? The reason I ask is because there are some subtle differences in talking about the wavevector of an EM wave and the wavevector of an electron wave.

For waves in general, Redbelly gave the best physical explanation (post #2). When we start to talk E-k plots, these come as the result of performing Fourier analysis on the crystal lattice. The crystal lattice obviously exists in a position space. The Fourier transform of position is momentum which is directly proportional to the wavevector. In quantum mechanics, it is convenient to use wavevector rather than momentum. But really, when you talk about one, you equivalently talk about the other.

The wavevector [itex]\vec{k}[/itex] has magnitude equal to the wave number [itex]k = 2\pi / \lambda[/itex] and a direction that is the same as the direction of propagation of the wave.

You can find the components of the wavevector using trigonometry. For example, in two dimensions the wavevector is:

[tex]\vec{k} = k_x \hat{i} + k_y \hat{j}[/tex]

where

[tex]|\vec{k}| = \sqrt{k_x^2 +k_y^2}[/tex]

and

[tex]k_x = |\vec{k}|cos \theta[/tex]

where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between [itex]\vec{k}[/itex] and the x axis, for example.

In three dimensions, things are a little more complicated, but you can still use trignometry.

Oh, and:

[tex]{\nabla}^{2} U + {k}^{2} U = 0[/tex]

expands as

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial y^2} + \frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial z^2} + (k_x^2 + k_y^2 + k_z^2) U = 0[/tex],

which is, of course, a scalar equation, not a vector equation.

Last edited:

hi ,
1ist of all try to understand physical meaning of physics that is what physics is
wave number :number of wavelengths(λ) present in 2pie radians
wavevector :it gives us direction of the wave in which it travels that,s why it is breakdown into components because u always cannot expect the wave to travel into one dimension .

please read intoduction to solid state physics by CHARLES KITTEL

how i can ask questions ?

Start with something that makes sense, like the fact that you have more momentum with a smaller wavelength. So basically, [tex]p=h/\lambda, [/tex] where h is some constant.

Since [tex]\hbar=h/2\pi,[/tex]
[tex]p=h/\lambda=2\pi\hbar/\lambda=\hbar k, [/tex]
where [tex]k=2\pi/\lambda,[/tex] ie, k is just a vector in the direction of the momentum.

Related to Understanding the Wavevector: Exploring Its Role in Optics and K-Space

1. What is a wavevector?

A wavevector, also known as a propagation vector, is a vector that describes the direction and magnitude of a wave's propagation. It is a mathematical concept used to represent the physical properties of a wave, such as its wavelength and frequency.

2. How is wavevector different from a regular vector?

A wavevector is different from a regular vector in that it describes the propagation of a wave in space, while a regular vector represents a physical quantity, such as displacement or force. Additionally, a wavevector is a complex vector, meaning it has both a magnitude and a direction, while a regular vector is typically a real vector with only magnitude and no direction.

3. How is wavevector related to wavelength and frequency?

The wavevector is related to wavelength and frequency through the wave equation, which states that the product of the wavevector and wavelength is equal to the speed of the wave. This relationship is also known as the dispersion relation, as it describes how waves disperse or spread out in a medium.

4. Can wavevector be negative?

Yes, wavevector can be negative. In fact, in most cases, it is a complex vector with both real and imaginary components. The real component represents the direction of propagation, while the imaginary component represents the phase of the wave. The magnitude of the wavevector is always positive, as it represents the speed of the wave.

5. What are some real-world applications of wavevector?

Wavevector has many applications in various fields, including optics, acoustics, and solid-state physics. It is used to describe the behavior of waves in different media, such as light waves in optical fibers, sound waves in air, and electron waves in crystals. It is also used in the study of wave phenomena, such as diffraction, interference, and dispersion.