1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform angular acceleration

1. Feb 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A wheel is subjected to uniform angular acceleration. Initially its angular velocity is zero. During the first 1-s time interval, it rotates through an angle of 90.6degrees.

(a) Through what angle does it rotate during the next 1-s time interval?(in degrees)

(b) Through what angle during the third 1-s time interval?(in degrees)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I just tried multiplying the 90.6 by 2, and putting in 90.6 itself, because I thought that might be the answer, but I forgot that it was the acceleration, and that the next values would increase in smaller increments, because it is speeding up.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2008 #2
    You can use all your equations you've been using for constant acceleration, like d=1/2at^2+Vi*t, but now you use the rotational "versions"

so instead of distance in meters, you have the angle traveled in radians, instead of velocity in meters/second, angular velocity in radians/second, and acceleration is radians/s^2

So in one second it goes from 0 degrees to 90.6 starting from rest(you'll need radians!)this is like knowing distance, time, and initial velocity
  4. Feb 21, 2008 #3
    Okay, so since I have 5400 rev/min, I divide it by 60 to get 90 rev/sec. Then I multiply it by 2*Pi for the angular velocity in radians, right? Or am I doing something wrong?
  5. Feb 21, 2008 #4
    That part's right

except the unit is radians/second
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?