Uniform Circular Motion Space Station question

In summary, a proposed space station with a radius of 950m will need to rotate at a speed of 1396.642041 revolutions per day in order for an effect equal to gravity at the surface of the Earth to be felt. This is calculated using the formula for centripetal acceleration and the circumference formula.
winnayy

Homework Statement

A proposed space station consists of a circular tube that will rotate about its center (like a tubular bicycle tire), as shown in the figure (http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1057181/4/GIANCOLI.ch05.p048.jpg). The circle formed by the tube has a radius of about 1.9 km. What must be the rotation speed (revolutions per day) if an effect equal to gravity at the surface of the Earth (1.0g) is to be felt?

g = 9.8 m/s2
r = 1900m/2 = 950m

Homework Equations

g = (4[tex]\pi[/tex]r2/T2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Solve for T:
T = [tex]\sqrt{}[/tex](4[tex]\pi[/tex]r2/g)
T = 2[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\sqrt{}[/tex](r/g)

Plug in known values:
T = 2[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\sqrt{}[/tex](950m/9.8m/s2) = 61.86266614 sec/rev

Seconds in a day:
(24hr/day)(60min/hr)(60sec/min) = 86400sec

(86400s/day)/(61.86266614sec/rev) = 1396.642936 rev/day

Rounded to two significant figures, this is 1400 rev/day, but MasteringPhysics keeps telling me I'm wrong. I've tried another way finding the velocity and diving that into the circumference to get T, and I get the same answer... so I'm confused as to where my mistake lies.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi winnayy! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a pi: π :wink:)

no, g isn't 4πr2/T2 :redface:

(and is r 1900 or 950? :confused:)

Thank you, Tim =).

g = 9.8 m/s2
r = 950m
(Sorry for the confusion.)

Using the formula for centripetal acceleration:
a = v2/r
9.8 = v2/950
v = 96.4883416 m/s

Rotation speed:
c = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]r = 5969.926942m
P = c/v = 5969.926942m / 96.4883416m/s = 61.86266592 s

Number of revolutions per day:
(24hr/day)(60min/hr)(60sec/min) = 86400s/61.86266592s = 1396.642041 rev/day

I still get the same number using a different equation? :(

Last edited:
hi winnayy! :smile:

your solution looks ok to me :confused:

ah~ It looks okay to me, too, so I can't figure out why Mastering Physics won't accept it x___x. Thank you, though, Tim!

edit: /facepalm. You were right to question what the radius was! I was reading incorrectly this whole time and blew the number they gave us to be the diameter, sigh. Thank you for your help, Tim =).

Last edited:

1. What is uniform circular motion in the context of a space station?

Uniform circular motion is a type of motion where an object moves in a circular path at a constant speed. In the context of a space station, it refers to the motion of the space station as it orbits around the Earth.

2. Why does a space station in orbit experience uniform circular motion?

A space station in orbit experiences uniform circular motion because there are two forces acting on it - the gravitational force pulling it towards the Earth and the centrifugal force pushing it away from the Earth. These two forces are balanced, resulting in a constant circular motion.

3. How does the radius of the space station's orbit affect its speed in uniform circular motion?

The radius of the space station's orbit directly affects its speed in uniform circular motion. The larger the radius, the slower the speed, and vice versa. This is because the speed is inversely proportional to the radius, according to the equation v = ωr, where v is the linear speed, ω is the angular speed, and r is the radius.

4. Is the space station's velocity constant in uniform circular motion?

Yes, the space station's velocity is constant in uniform circular motion. This is because velocity is a vector quantity that includes both speed and direction. In uniform circular motion, the speed remains constant, but the direction changes, resulting in a constant velocity.

5. How does the force of gravity affect the space station's uniform circular motion?

The force of gravity is the centripetal force that keeps the space station in uniform circular motion. Without the force of gravity, the space station would continue in a straight line instead of following a circular path. As the space station moves in its orbit, the force of gravity constantly pulls it towards the Earth, resulting in a curved path.