1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform Convergence and the Uniform Metric

1. Dec 25, 2012 #1
    Let X be a set, and let fn : X---> R be a sequence of functions. Let ρ be the uniform metric on the space RX. Show that the sequence (fn) converges uniformly to the function f:X--> R if and only if the sequence (fn) converges to f as elements of the metric space (RX, ρ). [Note: the ρ's should have a bar over them.]

I have a question concerning one direction of our implication.

[My attempt at the solution.]

Since I do not know how to make a d with a bar over it, I'll use ∂ to denote the standard bounded metric relative to d.

Proof:

Assume the sequence (fn) converges to f as elements of the metric space (RX, ρ).

Then, for any ε>0, there is a positive integer N such that ρ(fn,f)<ε for all n≥N.

That is, for n ≥ N, the sup{∂(fn(x),f(x))| x in X} < ε.

If ε≤1, our metrics are the same.

Hence for ε≤1, there exisits an integer N such that for n ≥ N, the sup{∂(fn(x),f(x))| x in X} < ε.

But since ∂(fn(x),f(x)) = d(fn(x),f(x)) for n ≥ N, d(fn(x),f(x)) ≤ sup{∂(fn(x),f(x))| x in X} < ε for all n≥N and x in X, which satisfies our condition for uniform convergence.

My question is about ε. Is this the right approach?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To display a bar, you can use the TeX command \bar. For example, to typeset [itex]\bar{\rho}[/itex], use \bar{\rho}.

Just to make sure I understand the question correctly, let me paraphrase it with proper typesetting: by standard bounded metric relative to [itex]d[/itex], you mean
    [tex]\bar{d}(x,y) = \min\{d(x,y), 1\}[/tex]
    and that the following definitions are in use
    [tex]\rho(f,g) = \sup\{d(f(x),g(x)) : x \in X\}[/tex]
    [tex]\bar{\rho}(f,g) = \sup\{\bar{d}(f(x),g(x)) : x \in X\}[/tex]
    and that the goal is to show that
    [tex]\bar{\rho}(f_n,f) \rightarrow 0 \implies \rho(f_n,f) \rightarrow 0[/tex]
    Assuming I interpreted the question correctly, what you have done is fine for [itex]\epsilon \leq 1[/itex]. For [itex]\epsilon > 1[/itex], you can simply use the [itex]N[/itex] that works for [itex]\epsilon = 1[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook