1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Uniform Distribution with Conditional Probability

1. Apr 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So I just took a probability test and I'm having a hard time with the fact that my answer is wrong. I've done some research online and I believe I am correct, I was hoping to get some input. I'm new to using LaTeX so sorry if it's sloppy. Thanks!

Problem: Suppose that the amount of time in minutes that I wait for a bus is uniformly distributed on the interval [0,60].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    (I got part A correct)
    Part A: What is the probability I have to wait for at least 20 minutes?

[tex]P(X \geq 20 ) = 1 - P(X \leq 20) = 1 - \int_0^{20} \frac{1}{60} dx = 1 - \frac{20}{60} = 1 - \frac{1}{3} = \frac{2}{3}[/tex]

(I got part B wrong)
    Part B: Suppose that when I arrive at the bus stop, I meet someone else who has already been waiting for the same bus for 20 minutes. If I take that information into account, what is the probability that I will have to wait for at least 20 minutes?

[tex]P(X \geq 20 ) = 1 - P(X \leq 20) = 1 - \int_0^{20} \frac{1}{40} dx = 1 - \frac{20}{40} = 1 - \frac{1}{2} = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Since someone else has already been waiting for the same bus for 20 minutes and has not been picked up yet, I would think we could change the sample space? So I used an interval of length 40, since the original was 60.

P.S. I used this site:

Example 2, Problem 3.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

This might be a good one to use conditional probabilities related by Bayes rule:
    [tex] P(B|A) = P(A|B)\frac{P(B)}{P(A)} [/tex]

Consider the first person waiting at the bus stop, teh problem translates into:
    what is the prob of them waiting for 40min given they have already waited 20min?

Let A be the event X>20, and B X>40
    [itex] P(A) = \frac{2}{3} [/itex] and [itex] P(B) = \frac{1}{3} [/itex]

so we want to find P(B|A)
    [tex] P(B|A) = P(A|B)\frac{P(A)}{P(B)} [/tex]

clearly P(A|B) = 1, if X>40, then it follows X>20, so plugging in the numbers
    [tex] P(B|A) = P(A|B)\frac{P(B)}{P(A)} = (1)\frac{1/3}{2/3} = \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

which agrees with your answer & seems to make sense...
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook