1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Units of mass- 2.99e+05 tonne

1. Jul 18, 2008 #1
    Hi,

Im a studying designer currently working with an engineering CAD program. I have calcualted the mass of the part using an analysis feature in the program. However, I have very little engineering interlect and cannot completely understand the results.

The returned result is 2.9955623e+05 TONNE

If anyone can help me understand this it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Daniel

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2008 #2

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Are you asking about the scientific notation or the unit? A 'tonne' usually means a metric ton, which is 1000 kilograms. The number is "computerese" (it goes back to FORTRAN notation) for the value expressed in scientific notation; here, this would be 2.9955623·10^5 or 299,556.23 (which is probably way more significant figures than the number is good for...).

4. Jul 18, 2008 #3

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

1 tonne = 2204.6226 pounds

It's called a metric ton.

You got the 2.99 x 10^5 part of it I'm guessing.

5. Jul 18, 2008 #4
    I appreciate your immediate reply

I thought that may be the conversion but does that mean that it is 299,000 tonnes!? If so the density assigned to the part is incorrect so I must change it

6. Jul 18, 2008 #5

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

What did you use for the density? Does the input want kilograms per cubic meter or grams per cubic centimeter? (That would make a difference of a factor of 1000.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?