Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Units of mass- 2.99e+05 tonne

1. Jul 18, 2008 #1
    Hi,

Im a studying designer currently working with an engineering CAD program. I have calcualted the mass of the part using an analysis feature in the program. However, I have very little engineering interlect and cannot completely understand the results.

The returned result is 2.9955623e+05 TONNE

If anyone can help me understand this it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Daniel

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2008 #2

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Are you asking about the scientific notation or the unit? A 'tonne' usually means a metric ton, which is 1000 kilograms. The number is "computerese" (it goes back to FORTRAN notation) for the value expressed in scientific notation; here, this would be 2.9955623ยท10^5 or 299,556.23 (which is probably way more significant figures than the number is good for...).

4. Jul 18, 2008 #3

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

1 tonne = 2204.6226 pounds

It's called a metric ton.

You got the 2.99 x 10^5 part of it I'm guessing.

5. Jul 18, 2008 #4
    I appreciate your immediate reply

I thought that may be the conversion but does that mean that it is 299,000 tonnes!? If so the density assigned to the part is incorrect so I must change it

6. Jul 18, 2008 #5

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

What did you use for the density? Does the input want kilograms per cubic meter or grams per cubic centimeter? (That would make a difference of a factor of 1000.)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook