Calculating Uncertainty in Angular Resolution: A Guide for Scientists

In summary, the conversation is about finding the experimental limit of angular resolution using the equation theta = d / D, where d and D are given with uncertainties. The angular limit of resolution is measured in radians and there are resources available to explain how to propagate precision uncertainties through calculations. The conversation also discusses the largest and smallest values of theta and the need to consider the uncertainties when adding values. Additionally, one person mentions feeling stressed and having difficulty thinking clearly, but is grateful for the help provided.
P-Jay1
Hey, I'm being asked to find the experimental limit of angular resolution.

The equation is as follows: theta = d / D

where d = 0.75 [tex]\pm[/tex] 0.003 mm

and, D = 10.3 [tex]\pm[/tex] 0.2 m

The angular limit of resolution will be given in radians. How do I work out the resultant uncertainty?

Physics news on Phys.org
do you add the uncertainties?

What is the largest value of theta? What is the smallest value?

P-Jay1 said:
do you add the uncertainties?

Did you look through the document at the link I provided? In particular, section 9, "Propagation of Errors of Precision".

gneill said:
Did you look through the document at the link I provided? In particular, section 9, "Propagation of Errors of Precision".

Briefly. I'm extremely stressed and my ability to read and think at the same time has deteriorated. However, I see now though, so thankyou :)

1. What are uncertainties and why are they important in scientific research?

Uncertainties refer to the potential errors or variations in data or measurements. They are important in scientific research because they allow researchers to understand the limitations of their data and the level of confidence they can have in their results.

2. How do scientists calculate uncertainties?

Scientists calculate uncertainties by using statistical methods and mathematical models to estimate the potential errors or variations in their data. This can include factors such as instrument precision, human error, and sample size.

3. What is the difference between random and systematic uncertainties?

Random uncertainties refer to the inherent variability in measurements or data, while systematic uncertainties are due to consistent errors in the measurement process. Random uncertainties can be reduced by increasing sample size, while systematic uncertainties can be reduced by improving measurement techniques.

4. How do uncertainties affect the validity of scientific conclusions?

Uncertainties can affect the validity of scientific conclusions by decreasing the confidence level in the results. The larger the uncertainties, the less certain we can be about the accuracy of the conclusions drawn from the data.

5. Can uncertainties be completely eliminated in scientific research?

No, uncertainties cannot be completely eliminated in scientific research. They are inherent in the measurement process and are a constant reminder that scientific knowledge is always subject to change and improvement.