Solve Unwinding Ribbon Homework: Find Acceleration in Terms of m, R, g

• Thread starter postfan
  • Start date
In summary: From the torque equations, we can see that the angular acceleration of the top spool (αred) is positive, while the angular acceleration of the bottom spool (αblue) is negative. To find the equation that relates angular to linear acceleration, we can look at the linear acceleration of the bottom spool (ab) and the angular acceleration of the top spool (αred). We know that the linear acceleration of the bottom spool is equal to the acceleration of gravity (g), so we can set up the equation ab = g = αred * r. This gives us the equation ab = g * r / R, where R is the radius of the bottom spool. Therefore, the downward acceleration of the blue spool
postfan

Homework Statement

Red ribbon wound around a red spool (above) is taped to blue ribbon wound around a blue spool (below). The ribbon is essentially massless, but the solid cylindrical spools each have mass m and radius R. If the red spool can freely rotate on a fixed axle and the blue spool is positioned directly underneath with the ribbon taut, what is the downward acceleration of the blue spool? Gravity is downward.
Enter your answer in terms of some or all of the variables m, R and g.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Used F=ma and got mg-T=ma, a=(mg-T)/m, and kind of got stuck there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that both spools will rotate. Create variables for the two angular accelerations and write down torque equations. There's another equation relating these two angular accelerations to the blue spool's linear acceleration.

I came up with 2 torque equations:
(T-mg)*r=I*alpha (alpha is postive)
(mg-T)*r=I*alpha (alpha is negative)

Can you tell me if these are right or not, also can you give me a hint for the equation that relates angular to linear acceleration? Thanks!

postfan said:
Please use different symbols for different variables, e.g. αred, αblue.
Your torque equation for the red spool is wrong. Have another think.
Can you tell me if these are right or not, also can you give me a hint for the equation that relates angular to linear acceleration?
It's just like the equation that relates angular velocity of a car wheel to the car's linear velocity, except that here you have two wheels affecting the length of ribbon. It might help to think first about the equation that would apply if the ribbon were stuck on the bottom reel so that it could not spin. How would the linear acceleration of the bottom spool relate to the angular acceleration of the top one? Then swap it around and suppose only the bottom spool can spin, then try to put the two together.

postfan said:
The torques are related to the tension in the ribbons, which is T (not (T-mg) or (mg-T)). Since the ribbons are massless, T is constant (not affected by height).

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (the amount of change in velocity) and direction.

2. How is acceleration related to mass, radius, and gravitational acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. Additionally, the acceleration of an object moving in a circular path is related to its radius and the gravitational acceleration acting on it.

3. What is the equation for finding acceleration in terms of mass, radius, and gravitational acceleration?

The equation is a = (m * v^2)/r, where a is acceleration, m is mass, v is velocity, and r is radius. In terms of gravitational acceleration (g), the equation can be written as a = (g * r).

4. How can I use this equation to solve unwinding ribbon homework?

To use this equation for solving unwinding ribbon homework, you will need to know the mass of the object, the radius of the circular path it is moving in, and the gravitational acceleration acting on it. You can then plug these values into the equation to calculate the acceleration of the object.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the acceleration of an object moving in a circular path?

Yes, factors such as friction and air resistance can also affect the acceleration of an object moving in a circular path. These factors will cause the object to slow down and decrease its acceleration. Additionally, the shape and weight distribution of the object can also impact its acceleration.