Upgrading water to an old house

• Thread starter awinn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the electrician redid the electricity and the water pressure is thought to be around 35-40 psi from a spring, but it's curious to know what is typical. A book on plumbing recommends water pressure be between 50-70 psi. Pex pipe is flexible, easy to work with, freeze-proof, and required very little tools for a 1-day job.
awinn
Hi. I grew up in a house built in 1834. I'm now in college and my parents still live at home. I am a senior in Mechanical Engineering and when I'm home I look around and see the things I can improve. The electricity was all just redone by a very good electrician (and not a moment too soon, from what I saw come out!). But now I am turning my attention to their water. I believe they have about 35-40 psi from a spring, but I am curious to know what typical water pressure for a house is (ie potential). I am going to keep looking online for an answer- it seems to be about 50-70 is appropriate. However, I figured there would probably be a standard, but I can't find one.

I'll run some calculations with 40 psi that they have (w/o a booster pump) and see what kind of piping I'd be looking at.

Any help is appreciated! thanks from WVU!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think anything between 40 and 50 PSI is acceptable. You need not reinvent the wheel here. Buy a good book on plumbing. They have all the guidlines and requirements needed.

If the piping is original I'd me worried about the amount of lead your parents might be ingesting, better switch to gin to be on the safe side.

I had a water leak under my house last week, and after inspecting it, I found all my copper pipes were turning green and corroding (they were very old). I called my brother who is a plumber, and yesterday we cut out all of my pipes and replaced them with Pex pipe, which is the industry standard, in TN.

It is flexible, easy to work with, freeze-proof, and required very little tools (mainly a pipe-stretcher, not needed with more expensive "shark-bite" fittings).

This was a 1-day job for a 2 bath, 1 kitchen, 1200 sq/ft ranch house built on a crawl-space (with professional brother).

Look into Pex pipe, it is available at any hardware or plumbing supply store.

Last edited:
Sorry for the long absence. We've used Pex pipe for some of the new stuff we've done around there.

I should have added in the original message that the reason I keep thinking about their water is when I stay there I am reminded each time- the shower does not seem to have a large enough volumetric flow and so dad installed a super low flow shower head. basically turns a stream into really small droplets. The hot water cools off in about 8" and it just sucks. A larger volumetric flow would let them use a "Real" shower head and have "Real" hot water in the shower.

I have a new topic I'll be posting about shortly! Thanks for the replies :)

1. How do you upgrade water to an old house?

Upgrading water to an old house typically involves replacing the old plumbing system with new pipes, fixtures, and fittings. This may also include upgrading the water meter and installing a new water filtration system.

2. What are the benefits of upgrading water to an old house?

Upgrading water to an old house can improve the quality and safety of the water supply, as well as increase water pressure and flow. It can also prevent leaks and water damage, and potentially increase the value of the house.

3. How much does it cost to upgrade water to an old house?

The cost of upgrading water to an old house can vary depending on the size of the house and the extent of the upgrades needed. On average, it can cost anywhere from $2,000 to $10,000.

4. Do I need a professional to upgrade water to an old house?

While some minor upgrades can be done by homeowners, it is recommended to hire a professional plumber for larger or more complex projects. They have the expertise and tools necessary to ensure the upgrades are done correctly and safely.

5. How long does it take to upgrade water to an old house?

The timeline for upgrading water to an old house can vary depending on the scope of the project and any unforeseen issues that may arise. On average, it can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to complete the upgrades.