My UPS Nightmare: Delivery Gone Wrong

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
In summary: So, even if you specify an office address, it's not a guarantee that the package will actually go to that office!In summary, the recipient spent extra money to make sure their sister's present would arrive on time, but UPS screwed up and the present ended up being delivered to the wrong address.
mattmns
UPS Sucks!

I ordered a present for my sister's birthday (which is this Sunday) from Amazon on tuesday night, and I spent the extra $15 to get it here today, friday, so she could have it on her birthday! So I sit here today waiting for the package, and it never shows up. So I go online and enter the tracking number, and I see that there is this "A correct street name is needed for delivery. UPS is attempting to obtain this information." So I then call UPS, and they tell me that they are sending the package back to Amazon, and I ask them to tell me the address that was on the package. They tell me, and IT IS MY Address! I then ask her what in the hell is the problem then? And she has no clue, and asks me if I want to not send the package back to Amazon, I told her of course I don't want it sent back! I then ask her when it will arrive, and she tells me Tuesday, because they have to hold the package an additional day because it is past 7pm. :grumpy: I then ask her if I can pick it up tomorrow, and she says no, but gives me the option of picking it up on Monday, so I took it! :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: I then asked her if UPS will reimburse me since they basically threw away the $15 I spent to MAKE SURE IT WOULD BE HERE TODAY, and she tells me that I have to talk to Amazon about that. So I contacted amazon, and I hope they will at least reimburse me a bit. Geeze, UPS SUCKS! :cry: :cry:

I am not sure how UPS screwed this one up, especially since they have delivered to my address before, but if possible I will never order anything from UPS again. :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Those delivery companies all are prone to screw ups. I had documents shipped to me via Fed-Ex once, overnight, morning delivery (you know, the really expensive shipping) because it really did absolutely have to be there overnight, and the idiots shipped it to the wrong city! Sure, they refunded the shipping charges, but that didn't help get the documents where they needed to be (I wanted them to pay me for pain and suffering for the anxiety caused by not having them arrive on time...it would have been faster to have someone drive them to me themselves than to ship them!) So, I feel your pain. Yes, Amazon should reimburse the extra shipping cost if it didn't arrive on time (and they can get the refund from UPS).

HOW DARE YOU SPEAK ILL OF THE ONE AND ONLY UPS!

*lights a candle to the UPS God*

I think UPS isn't that bad really.

I have a good friend that works at UPS and he tells me about all the boxes he's broken. Needless to say I always use fedex.

I asked for two-day shipping and got my item the next day. :tongue:

I learned something.

I would get your sister a better a delivery service for her birthday

I have had good experience with the US mail. Fedex is usually good, but two months ago, someone sent me a package overnight. It didn't show up for three days (I was supposed to get it on Saturday morning - it arrived on Monday afternoon). The waybill was clearly marked next day! However, someone at Fedex attached one of their barcode stickers which made it for 2-3 days later.

The problem is that ordering from Amazon or others may be restrict one to whomever they use as the delivery agent.

Some things I've learned to do that you shouldn't have to do, but seem to help...if you want Saturday delivery, give your home address, not your work address, even if you would be at the office to receive it. Most offices have regular pick-up schedules, and if they don't have staff there every Saturday to receive deliveries on Saturdays on a regular basis, the courier companies assume nobody will be there to sign for the package on a Saturday and it shows up Monday. I had this problem with a package where, even though I had very carefully specified with the shipper to put my office number on the package so the Fed-Ex or UPS guy (I can't recall which it was) could come to my office with it instead of dropping it off at the business office where deliveries usually go, they didn't deliver because the guy on that route knows deliveries usually go to the business office and nobody is there to sign on a Saturday. :grumpy:

If you need a delivery first thing in the morning, send it to your work address (this is the exact opposite of the Saturday deliveries). The way most routes seem to be set up, they deliver to businesses first, then to residential addresses second. So you'll get it around 8 or 9 AM at the office and more like 11 AM or noon at home.

A problem I've had with both the US Postal Service and UPS is that if you have something shipped and the shipper doesn't require a signature, they tend to leave the packages on the doorstep even if it's raining (they shove them in a plastic bag that isn't leakproof by any means). Though, at my current address, the Postal Service is better about that than at my previous address. If it's bad weather, they'll leave me a notice to pick up the package at the post office because they couldn't deliver due to inclement weather. It was a pain to get to the post office last time that happened, but at least my package wasn't left out in the rain.

Though, I'm left wondering at times when my neighbor is a Fed-Ex driver but I see UPS delivering to him. :biggrin:

I friggen hate UPS. Fed-Ex is pretty awesome, though.
Okay, I ordered a 5 disc DVD changer from Amazon shipped UPS, it arrived 1 day late, at like 5pm (so it had basically been 'out for delivery' from 2 towns over for 33 hours), the box came half opened and the delivery idiot tossed it. Luckily, somehow, it works, but I still sent angry emails to UPS. I live on the corner of a side street and, well, another side street but it connects two main roads. Right in front of my house is a sign "NO PARKING." So, what the fizzle does UPS do with their lane wide truck? Parks right there. It's like what?! The sign says "NO PARKING," not "15 minute parking," or "UPS PARKING." Idiot morons. All in all, it took 5 days to get to MA from NJ.
Next week, I order something from zipzoomfly and it's shipped 3 day Fed-Ex. Their delivery center is the next town over, but since I'm on the far end of town, UPS and FedEx are the same distance basically. It arrives on schedule, at like 2pm so I actually can use it the same day. It was placed nicely on my side door. The Fed-Ex driver backed his truck into my driveway! They always do this! Either it's their policy or they can read a freaking sign and know not to park in front of my house. So, that was really good, because I'm quite anal about the flow of traffic. Actually, there's a church festivity going on and they have a large parking lot, but some people refuse to use it, so I think I'm going to go report like 11 illegally parked cars, cuz, well, that's town revenue and we like need some of that.
Fed-Ex yay! UPS nay! USPS isn't bad, but almost nobody uses it for packages so...

I hate Fed Ex, I have paid extra several times so something would get here the next day and if you don't get to the door fast enough, they take off and won't leave the package, even though I have filled out the paperwork approving them to leave packages at least a dozen times. They never check.

I have had UPS lose packages completely.

The US Postal service seems to be the best. They cost less and they're good.

The local news did a report last year on UPS, Fed Ex & US Postal. They sent bananas with 2 day delivery. The UPS box didn't arrive for 3 days and the bananas were black mush. Fed EX arrived on time but the bananas were bruised black. The US Postal box also arrived on time and the bananas looked great, just a bit of bruising.

Evo said:
The local news did a report last year on UPS, Fed Ex & US Postal. They sent bananas with 2 day delivery. The UPS box didn't arrive for 3 days and the bananas were black mush. Fed EX arrived on time but the bananas were bruised black. The US Postal box also arrived on time and the bananas looked great, just a bit of bruising.

Yah that sounds extraordinarily scientific :rolleyes:

Pengwuino said:
Yah that sounds extraordinarily scientific :rolleyes:
It wasn't supposed to be scientific. Bananas don't lie.

(invalidates all of Penqwuino's GOOBF cards) :biggrin:

Evo said:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Pengwuino said:
Well, if I'm in a better mood later I might reactivate one. :tongue:

Evo said:
Bananas don't lie.
Not even the ones that say "Ignore the battery hatch; I'm really just a banana"?

What about that banana that turned out to be a bomb.

:confused:

There's always one bad one in the bunch? :redface:

Evo said:
It wasn't supposed to be scientific. Bananas don't lie.

Pengwuino said:
:rofl:

Now a smart person would send someone a box of her favorite chocolates, and not by UPS or FedEx, but by USPS. :biggrin:

Well it looks like I am not the only one who has had problems with these punks! Amazon has reimbursed me though, which is nice. And I told my sister that she will have to wait til monday, and she is ok with that, so I guess everything is ok :smile:

mattmns said:
Well it looks like I am not the only one who has had problems with these punks! Amazon has reimbursed me though, which is nice. And I told my sister that she will have to wait til monday, and she is ok with that, so I guess everything is ok :smile:
Well, if a guy can sue Home Depot for $3 million for getting glued to a toilet seat, you and your sister could sue for at least $2 million for stress, the strain on your relationship, emotional trauma causing failing grades in school, leading to unemployment and a life of crime and debauchery ultimately ending in life long incarceration..:cry: Heck, make it $10 million.

Evo said:
I hate Fed Ex, I have paid extra several times so something would get here the next day and if you don't get to the door fast enough, they take off and won't leave the package, even though I have filled out the paperwork approving them to leave packages at least a dozen times. They never check.
BOTH UPS and Fed Ex do that to me around here! :grumpy: I'll be home, but up on the third floor, hear the doorbell ring, and by the time I get to the front door, they're already pulling away. Do they wait at all for someone to answer the door?! :mad: The UPS guy waits a bit longer now, because it was one cold rainy day that he rang my bell, and when I opened the door, he was already putting the package away in the back of the truck, so I waited while listening to him clunking and thumping back there, standing nice and dry in my doorway, and when he finally got back to the driver's seat and was about to start up the truck, I hollered and waved, and he had to dig the package back out and bring it to me :devil: :biggrin:. When he got back to the door, I told him quite bluntly that I was on the third floor and I can't actually move any faster than I did to get to the door (heck, I had even hollered from the third floor window that I'd be down in just a moment), so now he waits a little longer for me to get to the door. But at least they show up on time (often earlier than I expect). FedEx are the ones who show up a day late with important documents. USPS isn't all that bad. I've never tried an overnight delivery with them, but when I do the 2 or 3-day delivery, it usually arrives the next day anyway, and they will leave it without a signature if I don't need someone to sign (like when I know someone won't be home to receive a package and don't want them to have to go to the post office to pick it up).

Oh, that was another fun UPS adventure. When I lived in Cincinnati, the first time I got a UPS package and wasn't home to get it, I called for directions to their office so I could pick it up there...they gave me the wrong directions...I wound up at a FedEx office! :rofl: I eventually figured out which turn was wrong on their directions and told them there was an error when I finally got to the office, and made sure they knew the instructions took me directly to the Fed Ex office, so maybe that was an indication I should use them. :rofl:

I have always had good luck with UPS and especially Fed Ex. The mail I don't like because you can't track it as well. The US mail needs some serious competition in my opinion. It is the only system in place in the US to deliver paper mail, UPS and Fed Ex don't obviously partake in letter deliveries unless you pay the extra cost to ship it overnight. Postal rates aren't too bad, but if you had a couple of other mail delivery companies (other then e-mail of course), I am sure mail wouldn't get lost as much.

Both UPS and Fed Ex people toss packages around like you wouldn't believe. If you do need to ship UPS especially, it's good to pack your stuff as secure as possible.

Awesome! :grumpy: I get home today, and I have a message from UPS saying that they screwed up AGAIN, and now my package is out for delivery. (But if my address was wrong the first time (which it was not), how is it going to be correct this time?) I have never cussed out anybody from customer support, but if I don't get my package today, I would be surprised if I don't. :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:

The package still has yet to come. If it is not here by tonight, you will all hear about me on your local news tomorrow: I will be the guy who gunned down 40 UPS employees with an automatic weapon!

Well they came and left a note, saying they would try again tomorrow. So I wait today, and then looked online a while ago, and found out that I am supposed to pick it up.

**** YOU UPS!

1. What is your "UPS Nightmare" experience?

My UPS Nightmare experience is when a package that was supposed to be delivered by UPS was delayed or lost, causing inconvenience and frustration.

2. How did your package get lost or delayed?

The package may have been misrouted, mishandled, or damaged during transit. It could also be due to a mistake in the shipping address or inaccurate tracking information.

3. Did you contact UPS customer service for help?

Yes, I contacted UPS customer service multiple times to inquire about the status of my package and to file a claim for the lost or delayed package.

4. Were you able to get a resolution for your UPS Nightmare?

It depends on the situation. In some cases, UPS was able to locate and deliver the package, while in others, I had to file a claim and wait for compensation. However, there were also instances where the package was never found or delivered.

5. What can I do to avoid a UPS Nightmare?

To avoid a UPS Nightmare, make sure to double-check the shipping address and tracking information before sending a package. It is also helpful to choose a shipping option with insurance and tracking, and to contact UPS customer service immediately if there are any issues with the delivery.