1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent Isothermal process

1. Aug 16, 2009 #1
    Urgent!!!Isothermal process

Hi guys. i have a very short question. In an isothermal process, change is temperature is zero, so change in internal energy is zero, thus Q=W. The part that i am confused is that if Q=mc(deltaT) then should be a change in temperature in the isothermal process?
    Thanks a lot

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2009 #2
    Re: Urgent!!!Isothermal process

Q = mc(delta T) is not the correct equation in this example for the system. It has already been stated that Q must equal W in an isothermal process.

Think of it this way, if the system is a piston and the piston is drawn up then the system should cool. To keep the system at a constant temperature, the system is heated with the same energy that is extracted through work. Likewise, if the system is compressed then the system will have to expel heat to maintain its temperature.

If the system were in some kind of medium (air, water, etc) then the equation Q=mc(delta T) can be used for the surroundings.

Hope this helps.

4. Aug 16, 2009 #3
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  5. Aug 16, 2009 #4
    Re: Urgent!!!Isothermal process

I totally understand now..thanks alot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook