Find Acceleration of Uniformly Accelerating Car | Kinematics Homework Help

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate acceleration for a car that travels 18 meters in the fifth second of its motion. The homework statement provides the equation d=ut+0.5(at^2), and the attempt at a solution shows multiple attempts at solving the problem. The conversation also mentions the importance of including all necessary variables and using calculus to find the solution.
Lucy_x

Homework Statement

A car that is accelerating uniformly travels 18 m in the fifth second of its motion.
Calculate acceleration.

I've tried to answer this a million different ways.
If it's in the fifth second on motion that means it has traveled for four seconds, yes?
And I'm not sure that this question gives enough variables for it to be answered... would you agree?

Homework Equations

d=ut+0.5(at^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer in my book says 4.0 is correct. I can't seem to get this.
d=ut+0.5(at^2)
18=0+0.5(16a)
36=16a
36/16
=2.25

Then i was thinking perhaps it has traveled 18 m in 0.5 seconds only, so i did
:d=ut+0.5(at^2)
18=0=0.5(0.25a)
36=0.25
36/0.25
=144

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Lucy_x said:

Homework Statement

A car that is accelerating uniformly travels 18 m in the fifth second of its motion.
Calculate acceleration.

I've tried to answer this a million different ways.
If it's in the fifth second on motion that means it has traveled for four seconds, yes?
And I'm not sure that this question gives enough variables for it to be answered... would you agree?

Homework Equations

d=ut+0.5(at^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer in my book says 4.0 is correct. I can't seem to get this.
d=ut+0.5(at^2)
18=0+0.5(16a)
36=16a
36/16
=2.25

Then i was thinking perhaps it has traveled 18 m in 0.5 seconds only, so i did
:d=ut+0.5(at^2)
18=0=0.5(0.25a)
36=0.25
36/0.25
=144

Please help!

Haha that's a trickyyyyyy problem. First off, You were right in that they failed to mention that the initial velocity is 0. I guess they want you to assume that although it's almost against all scientific principles to assume lol. Secondly, you'll have to use calculus. Think about integrating acceleration, letting it just be constant. Then, use your answer from there as the velocity function, v(t), and take a definite integral. Remember that a definite integral does not bring about another constant of integration. Finally, "in the fifth second" can be considered poor wording as most people wouldn't read it as "the interval between the 4th and 5th second," which is what it actually means. Hope that helps.

Thanks, just a few moments ago i realized that i can figure it out by calculating s1 and s2. Thanks for the answer, it helped a lot, though.

1. What is urgent kinematics help?

Urgent kinematics help is a service that provides assistance with problems related to the study of motion and its causes. It can include help with understanding concepts, solving problems, or conducting experiments.

2. Who can benefit from urgent kinematics help?

Anyone studying kinematics, whether at a beginner or advanced level, can benefit from urgent kinematics help. This service is especially useful for students who are struggling with the subject or need quick assistance for an assignment or test.

3. How does urgent kinematics help work?

Urgent kinematics help typically involves connecting with a knowledgeable expert in the field who can provide guidance and support. This can be done through online tutoring, email consultations, or in-person meetings.

4. What topics does urgent kinematics help cover?

Urgent kinematics help can cover a wide range of topics related to the study of motion, including velocity, acceleration, displacement, and projectile motion. It can also cover more advanced topics such as rotational motion and kinematic equations.

5. How can I find reliable urgent kinematics help?

To find reliable urgent kinematics help, it is important to do some research and read reviews or testimonials from previous users. You can also ask for recommendations from friends, classmates, or teachers. It is also a good idea to check the qualifications and experience of the person providing the help.