Urgent Physics Questions: Help Needed for Assignment Due Tomorrow

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking urgent help for a physics assignment with three questions. The first question involves determining the minimum pressing force needed to properly position a picture against a wall, given its mass, the angle of the pressing force and the coefficient of static friction. The second question asks for the acceleration due to gravity on Saturn and the difference in a person's weight on Saturn compared to Earth. The third question involves finding the magnitude of a pulling force on a block being pulled at constant velocity, given its weight and the frictional force acting on it. The conversation also includes a reminder to follow posting guidelines and a comment on the viability of the second question.
Melrose<3
Urgent Physics Question++++!

Can someone please help me answer these questions for physics? I need them urgently for an assignment that is due tomorrow.

1.) A person is trying to judge if a picture (mass = 1.10kg) is properly positioned by pressing it against a wall. The pressing force is perpendicular to the wall. The coefficient of static friction between the picture and the wall is 0.660. What is the minimum amount of pressing force that may be used?

2.) Saturn has an eqyatorial radius of 6.00 x 10^7m and a mass of 5.67 x 10^26
Calculate the following:
a.) the acceleration due to gravity of Saturn
b.) how many times greater is a person's weight on Saturn compared to that on
Earth?

3.) A block with a weight of 455 N is being pulled at constant velocity by a force directed at 30 degrees above the horizontal. The frictional force on the crate is 1163N. What is the magnitude of the pulling force?

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME! PLEASE! I HAVE NO CLUE ON HOW TO START AND DO THESE QUESTIONS. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Melrose.
Please pay attention to the posting guidelines. This belongs in the homework section, and nobody here will do your work for you. It's up to you to show what you've done already and ask specific questions as to your procedures.
As to the Saturn question, it's just plain stupid. Saturn is a gas giant planet. We don't (as far as I've learned) know where the theoretical solid surface is. You have to be on a surface for weight to be measured. If the question means what would be your apparent weight if you were on a solid surface at 6 x 10^7m from the core of the planet, that's a different matter.

Last edited:

Hi there,

I understand your urgency and I am here to assist you with your physics questions. Let's address each question one by one:

1) To determine the minimum amount of pressing force needed, we can use the formula F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of static friction, and N is the normal force (equal to the weight of the picture). We know that the force of friction must be equal to or less than the pressing force, so we can set up the inequality F ≤ μN. Plugging in the given values, we get F ≤ (0.660)(1.10kg)(9.8m/s^2). This gives us a minimum pressing force of 7.24N.

2) To calculate the acceleration due to gravity on Saturn, we can use the formula g = GM/R^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of Saturn, and R is its radius. Plugging in the given values, we get g = (6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2)(5.67 x 10^26kg)/(6.00 x 10^7m)^2 = 10.4 m/s^2.

To determine how many times greater a person's weight would be on Saturn compared to Earth, we can use the formula W = mg, where W is weight, m is mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. On Earth, the acceleration due to gravity is approximately 9.8 m/s^2, so a person's weight on Saturn would be (10.4 m/s^2)/(9.8 m/s^2) = 1.06 times greater.

3) To find the magnitude of the pulling force, we can use the formula Fnet = ma, where Fnet is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration (which is 0 since the block is moving at constant velocity). We also know that Fnet = Fpull - Ffriction. Plugging in the given values, we get Fpull - 1163N = 0, so Fpull = 1163N.

I hope this helps you with your assignment. Remember to always start by identifying the relevant formulas and plugging in the given values. Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of "Help Needed: Urgent Physics Questions"?

The purpose of "Help Needed: Urgent Physics Questions" is to provide a platform for students and researchers to ask urgent questions related to physics and receive prompt and accurate responses from fellow scientists and experts in the field.

2. Who can ask questions on "Help Needed: Urgent Physics Questions"?

Anyone with a genuine interest in physics can ask questions on the platform. This includes students, researchers, and anyone seeking knowledge about the subject.

3. How are questions on "Help Needed: Urgent Physics Questions" answered?

Questions on the platform are answered by a community of scientists and experts in the field of physics. They use their knowledge and expertise to provide accurate and helpful responses to the questions asked.

4. Is there a limit to the number of questions I can ask on "Help Needed: Urgent Physics Questions"?

No, there is no limit to the number of questions you can ask on the platform. However, it is recommended to ask only urgent and relevant questions to ensure the best use of the platform.

5. Are the answers on "Help Needed: Urgent Physics Questions" reliable?

Yes, the answers on the platform are provided by qualified scientists and experts in the field of physics. However, it is always recommended to cross-check and verify the information provided before using it for any research or academic purposes.