Thermodynamics: Urgent Questions on Gas & Mercury Expansion

In summary, the discussion focuses on the behavior of a glass thermometer filled with ideal gas and mercury when heat is applied. The equation PV = nRT is used to describe the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature for an ideal gas. The question of how much an ideal gas can be compressed is posed, but the focus shifts to the differential equations that describe the behavior of real gases. These equations take into account the finite volume and small attractive forces of real gases, and can be determined empirically or estimated from known relations.
evgreece
Hi everyone,:smile:
I'm new to this forum so please don't throw any stones if my question is too naive. I have this problem and it's urgent that I give an answer very quickly...

We have a glass thermometer filled n moles of ideal gas (instead of vacuum). The thermometer has also mercury in it. We apply heat and the mercury expands. Because the thermometer is also filled with ideal gas (i.e. air) there will be a limit, where mercury will stop expanding, and the air won't compress anymore.
-For n moles of air and m moles of mercury, what are the equations describing this? (Assume that the glass won't break)
-What is going to happen when we continue to apply heat in terms of Pressure? (I know that pressure is going to increase, I just want the maths of it)
-How much can the ideal gas be compressed?

Thanks in advance:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation describing an ideal gas is PV = nRT
P = pressure, V = volume , T = temperature ( n is the amount (moles) of gas and R is a constant)
so this tells you that Pressure or volume go up as you apply heat.

An ideal gas can be compressed to nothing.

Yeah, thanks, but my question is a little more complicated than this.
There are differential equations describing the constant 1/K (or B in some books) of the system. I know the pressure is going to keep going up, but there is a certain limit. An ideal gas can indeed compress to nothing, but if you see this in a real problem (i.e. a pump) you'll see that this isn't even close to nothing.
It's the differential equations I'm interested in, and the pressure between the m moles of mercury and the n moles of air.
Anyway, thanks again.

The ideal gas is only slightly modified for real gases.
You added a volume term to account for the finite volume of the gas and a small attractive force for the Van der Waals forces.

( P + a / Vm2 )( Vm - b ) = R T

P = pressure
Vm = molar volume
R = ideal gas constant
T = temperature

where a and b are either determined empirically for each individual compound or estimated from the relations.
a = 27 R2 Tc2
--------
64 Pc

b = R Tc
----
8 Pc

Tc = critical temperature
Pc = critical pressure

FAQ: Thermodynamics: Urgent Questions on Gas & Mercury Expansion

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work. It studies how these factors affect physical systems and their behaviors.

2. What is gas expansion?

Gas expansion is the process by which a gas increases in volume due to an increase in temperature or a decrease in pressure. This is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics and is governed by the ideal gas law.

3. How does mercury expansion differ from gas expansion?

Mercury expansion, or thermal expansion of liquids, is the process by which a liquid increases in volume due to an increase in temperature. Unlike gases, liquids are not compressible and therefore do not experience changes in pressure during expansion.

4. Why is understanding gas and mercury expansion important in thermodynamics?

Understanding gas and mercury expansion is crucial in thermodynamics because it helps us understand the behavior of gases and liquids in different environments. This knowledge is essential in many fields, including chemistry, engineering, and environmental science.

5. How does thermodynamics affect everyday life?

Thermodynamics has a significant impact on our everyday lives, from the way we cook and heat our homes to the way our bodies regulate temperature. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technology and the production of energy.

Back